Find
Notify
Tools

Starting load for 260 NBT in 375 H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Much to my sadness, I just got back from a trip to find that the 235 Speers were back-ordered!

The supplier did ship some 260 Nosler Ballistic Tips ... thought I'd try them on deer this year.

Can someone send along load range info for this projectile in 375 H&H with IMR 4350, H4831, and H450 ... PLEASE!

Thanks VERY much!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Fill the case with 4350 without fear or reservation, and drive on. If you want a specific load, 72.5 grains of any of the three 4350s (IMR, Hodgdon, and AA) are nice loads that don't push any envelopes.

Personally, of the three 4350s, I've had best results with Accurate's. Two .375 H&H Magnum rifles I've recently shot (one mine, one someone else's that I loaded for) both have the same preference. Hodgdon's was okay, IMR's was better, and Accurate's was MUCH better. If you're not particular, though, the worst of them will still shoot minute-of-critter at most respectable distances.

By the way, you'll quickly discover you CANNOT use 260-grain Partition data for 260-grain Ballistic Tips. You CANNOT seat each bullet to the same OAL and use the same load data, no matter what the potsmoking idiot who wrote that you could, in Nosler's latest manual, claims -- unless you just enjoy massively compressing powder.

Russ

[ 10-02-2002, 06:09: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
You can use the "starting" loads for the 270 gr Hornady (or any other 270 gr) without any problems and work your way up from there.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that Russell meant 82.5 grains of 4350 rather than 72.5. At any rate, I cram 83 grains of IMR 4350 behind a Sierra 250, and could use a bit more if the case would hold it. Therefore, I suspect that Russell's advice is correct -- a case full behind a Nosler 260 would probably be a nice load (but I'd drop back a couple of grains from full to allow for the vagaries of different chambers/barrels/components.

H414/WW760 also works nicely with bullets of this weight range in my gun.

By the way, having used the Sierra 250 with its tough high antimony core, I think the Nosler B.Tip is a better choice for deer-sized game. I wish Nosler would make a 225-235 grain bullet in this configuration.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I think that Russell meant 82.5 grains of 4350 rather than 72.5.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo, I meant 72.5 grains. I type 120 wpm with only three errors, and I proofread my posts... especially when I post load data. I meant 72.5 grains.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Russell, you said "full case", which with a .375 H & H is about 82.5 grains. 72.5 is way short of a full case. Which is it?

I just checked the Accurate Arms manual as a reference. With a Hornady 270 grain they list a starting load of 75.6 grains of 4350 yielding 2386 fps and a maximum load of 84 grains of 4350 (their cases must have a bit more capacity than mine) yielding 2711 fps.

I think you can see why I assumed you meant 82.5 rather than 72.5.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can see why you assumed what you did. My intent was to clarify that he could, safely, fill the case with any of the three 4350s and not worry about pressure. I sent him a private message via this website to explain my 72.5-grain load recommendation, in that the load was developed from QuickLOAD with the restriction that pressure could not exceed 50,000 PSI. If he is using a factory gun then, by all means, fill 'er up with 4350 and let 'em fly. In the case of the two rifles I mentioned, they are Mauser conversions (Ann Horsman has a picture of hers on the African Forum at the moment) and the gunsmith specifically stated loads should not exceed 50,000 PSI. With the .375 H&H Magnum, there is enough "caliber" with this round that laser-beam velocities aren't required to get the job done. Both Ann's rifle and mine produce muzzle velocities that are wholly adequate for field use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
... (their cases must have a bit more capacity than mine) yielding 2711 fps.

You're not alone. In my extensive, and I mean EXTENSIVE, research of .375 H&H Magnum loads... I learned quickly that the cases a lot of folks were using in their load development were MUCH MORE capacious than mine!

Russ