New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Collet Die w/ RCBS press
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I"m gettin ready to load some rounds, and i have a question about the lee collet die. First off, i'm loading for .270. How do i properly adjust the die in my RCBS rock chucker so it works properly? I don't get it. I'm supposed to feel the collet close, but i only feel it close when i turn it in an additional turn after it contacts the shell holder. Any help please? thanks in advance

Gun control is hitting your target.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It MUST contact the shell holder, that's the way it works. Don't screw it too much or you will damage it (like I did); as directions say, if you want a thighter collect you must slightly reduce the decapper diameter. I really like Lee collet dies

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beretta, Using LEE Collet dies with OTHER brands of presses other than LEE presses requires a different way of setting them up!!!!
If using LEE collet dies in an RCBS press, screw the die into the press until it contacts the shell holder AND THEN SCREW IN 2 FULL TURNS MORE!!!! This prevents the press from toggling over center and gives the operator the feel of the collet closing! Failure to adjust like this can cause damage to the collet die!!........this is straight from the directions provided with LEE COLLET DIES!!! Hope this helps! I wish LEE made collet die sets for every caliber I load for!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys..i called Lee and talked to a guy there, and he helped me out on the phone. I tried doin it before, but popped the cap off, and sent that cap in for a replacement. so i got a replacement today. I just loaded some rounds and can't wait to try them out. i have it adjusted just right. before, i did it like the directions said, but couldn't feel the collet closing so i did it harder and busted it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you guys, or anyone, see an increase in accuracy after you used the collet dies????

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
You really don't feel the "Collet closing" much. After doing a few cases you can feel the brass being resized as just a slight crunch. Don't worry, it's working. About 25 pounds pressure on the handle.

I use Lee Collet exclusively for 2 main reasons. No lube in the neck and better concentricity. Better accuracy? Maybe, but accurate rounds can be loaded with a regular expander ball type die thumbdown also.

IMHO, 85% of accuracy comes from the rifle, 5% from the load (bullet powder case primer), 5% from the shooter and the other 5% from other loading techniques.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beretta, I used the same batch of brass, same lot of powder, primers and bullets and loaded ammo with these components using RCBS dies and LEE Collet dies for a .260 BDL SS DM rifle with a 24" barrel, Replicated the tests on two different range sessions 4, 5 shot groups each. The largest group using the Collet sized brass was smaller than the best group using regular dies!! That made me a believer in the collets!! I use the collets on 17Rem, 22-250, 6mmRem, 25-06, .260Rem and 30-06! would love to have a set in .204 and .222MAG and 300SAUM!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote