Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking in a new barrel
 Login/Join

posted
Hello Folks: I just received a custom rifle that includes a new barrel. The caliber is 338-06AI. I want to break in the barrel as best I can. I have never really broke a barrel in and need some advice on how to do it correctly. I have read that this process is very important and can have lasting good or bad effects depending on how well it is done. I have some general instructions but would feel better getting some help from people how have experience in this task. I think a reloading forum will have a great deal of advice on this subject. If some of you on this forum can give me some help I will gladly share the information with another person who one day will ask for some help. The barrel is brand new and has never been shot. I'm starting from scratch. Thanks and be carefullSmiler Jim

Posts: 24 | Location: Medford, Or. | Registered: 10 August 2002Reply With Quote
<SageDog>
posted
A method I have used is cleaning the gun thoroughly after each shot for the first 20 rounds and then cleaning after third round until 100 shots are through the barrel.This will lap the barrel.Happy cleaning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the procedure reccomended by VVCG. Clean after each shot for the first 5. Then clean after 3 to 5 for the next 50.
jmo
Rick

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shoot one clean, shoot two cleam, shoot three clean, shoot four clean......, shoot ten clean and it's run in. This is the method I use when I am motivated. Usually I just clean a little more often and thouraghly for the first months I own a new rifle.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote