Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

454 Casull Loads Needed
 Login/Join

posted
I looking for loads for Hunting Rifle applications in 454 Casull. Rifle is Puma '92 with a 20 inch barrel. Relatively light bullets ~250 grain. Suggestions?
Regards,
Duhawki

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm using 28 grains of Alliant 2400 with the Cast Performance 265-grain flatnose gascheck bullet in my Taurus Raging Bull. This is a "light" load, in that it gives "only" 1550 FPS from the 5.5" barrel on mine. However, it is very accurate and pleasant to shoot in the Raging Bull.

I believe this load would give up to 1900 FPS or so from your 20" barrel, and this is way under a maximuum load. I am convinced that this bullet at 1550 would kill anything in North America, and moreso from your rifle.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
El
I've been looking for 265 gr GC bullets, can't seem to find any around here, where did you find them.

Let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one Luke 22:36

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I've been using the 240 grain load from Hornady for my stainless Puma '92. They claim 2000 fps from a handgun on the box. I will be chronographing these this week and I expect 2200-2300 fps from the rifle barrel. Accuracy at 100 meters is excellent considering my old eyes and the sights on the Pumas. I haven't bothered to reload yet even though I've got the dies, I just don't shoot it that much. It is a kicker!! Has the forend split yet on yours?? Mine split from the recoil somewheres in the first 10 rounds.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
For deer out to 100 yds I use 16 gr of HS-6 , Rem 7 1/2 primer and Hornady 250 gr XTP.
I am geting 1400 fps out of my Ruger SRH

It is not a top speed load but very accurate and less muzzel blast.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikenow46:
El
I've been looking for 265 gr GC bullets, can't seem to find any around here, where did you find them.

It was either Graf's or Cabela's, don't remember for sure. Believe it was Cabela's. These are the LBT-type wide flatnose 265-grain gascheck bullets made & sold by Cast Performance Bullet Co.

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks; Ive been using plain base 250 gr with 11 gr of Herco shoot OK but leads barrel some, It seems my SRH likes heavier bullets. I'll check at Cabela's.
Mike

posted Hide Post
Hey Bowhunter,
No kidding, you blew up the forend!? Do they all do that? Mine has not been delivered yet. I heard elsewhere that the 240 grain Hornady ammo was HOT. Anyother problems with yours?
Regards,
Duhawki
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
I've been using the 240 grain load from Hornady for my stainless Puma '92. They claim 2000 fps from a handgun on the box. I will be chronographing these this week and I expect 2200-2300 fps from the rifle barrel. Accuracy at 100 meters is excellent considering my old eyes and the sights on the Pumas. I haven't bothered to reload yet even though I've got the dies, I just don't shoot it that much. It is a kicker!! Has the forend split yet on yours?? Mine split from the recoil somewheres in the first 10 rounds.

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikenow46:
Thanks; Ive been using plain base 250 gr with 11 gr of Herco shoot OK but leads barrel some, It seems my SRH likes heavier bullets. I'll check at Cabela's.Mike

Well, I received a 2005 Graf's catalog yesterday, and it seems they have them also......

I have found you CAN use an INVERTED Hornady gascheck under plain base bullets to eliminate leading. A ".44 cal." felt Wonderwad (a muzzleloading revolver component as used in the Ruger OLD ARMY BP revolver) will work also..... Of course, a slight reduction in powder charge may be needed witht the Wonder Wad (but not with the gascheck)....

posted Hide Post
That's a new one on me, I'll have to try it.
Mike

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duhawki:
Hey Bowhunter,
No kidding, you blew up the forend!? Do they all do that? Mine has not been delivered yet. I heard elsewhere that the 240 grain Hornady ammo was HOT. Anyother problems with yours?
Regards,
Duhawki

Yep, got it home after its first range session(10 shots was all I could stand) and noticed the split forend. I was impressed with the accuracy. Off the bench with a sort of half-@$$ed rest, I was able to hold a 3-4" group with the crappy iron sights. I called the importer, they gave me the phone number of the warranty repair facility. I spoke with them, no problem getting it fixed, and yes, it is fairly common. He said the screw for the front band causes the problem and they do something to alleviate the problem.Did I mention it kicks?? Did I also mention I shoot a .338 Mag and a .300 RUM with no thoughts of the recoil?? It's not really that bad, just hold on to it. I don't think the Puma weighs as much as my Raging Bull.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote