Find
Notify
Tools

Std. weatherby & Ackley
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daveo
posted
I have a stock Weatherby Mark V in 280 rem.
Just woundering if I could have it reamed to a 280. Ackley?
I have been told the weatherby chamber has a longer dem. before the rifling, would this affect the conversion.
I wil post on the gunsmith fourm as well. Thanks for any input in advance.

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
FYI, I love my 257 RO AI

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Didn't mean to sound like I was trying to talk you into 257, just that I like Ackley's work

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its my understanding that you need to set back the barrel to obtain a proper crush fit to shoot standard ammo with an AI chamber. Perhaps you can jam the bullets into the rifling or fireform with cream of wheat.

I dont think the extra freebore is used on non weatherby calibers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daveo:
I have a stock Weatherby Mark V in 280 rem. Just woundering if I could have it reamed to a 280. Ackley?
Hey Daveo, Yes. However, your actual "gain" over the Standard Cartridge is very small compared to the cost involved. And you never know how the Accuracy would be affected.

If it shoots poorly now, then getting a complete rebarrel to which ever cartridge you desire would be an easier decision. But, you still have the extra cost of the Special AckImp Dies and only a small Velocity increase - maybe. A new barrel could be slower with the 280AckImp than your old 280Rem - at a SAFE Pressure - and that has the potential to upset some folks who think a 100-250fps difference is a big deal. Big Grin

quote:
I have been told the weatherby chamber has a longer dem. before the rifling, would this affect the conversion. ...
That - Longer Freebore - is true for all rifles, regardless of the manufacture, which are chambered for the Weatherby Cartridge Line, but not the Standard Cartridges.

I have a Wby U-Lt which has "less Freebore" than was typical in quite a few Remingtons I've had chambered for the same cartridge.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Daveo, Yes. However, your actual "gain" over the Standard Cartridge is very small compared to the cost involved. And you never know how the Accuracy would be affected.

At equal pressure about 1% velocity. I know there are some huge velocity increase claims. I have my own wildcat that is 11% larger and I ahve trouble reaching some of the claims ar what I would call acceptable pressure.

If you want a AI by all means go for it. I have far more wildcat and AI than std. Just have reasonable expectation on your velocity gains.

While there are many AI done by simply running a die into the chamber this can give you excess headspace on std cases. As stated to do it correct the barrel should be set back.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Rem 700 that I sent years ago to Arnold Arms for a 26" Douglas bbl chambered in std .280 Rem. Shot the heck out of it as it was a real tack driver.

A gunsmith buddy mentioned he had a .280 AI reamer so on a whim He rechambered for me. The accuracy is still there and with my favorite 150 gr bullet I found an additional 100-120 fps. I've wanted to try an AI for some time so it was a fun experiment. And WHAT a sexy looking case!!

As far as spending a few extra bucks for AI dies; So WHAT!! Lifes short....have fun.

Few years ago I had a Hart .257 Roberts AI bbl installed on an older M70 that I never used. The ctg is a sweet one. Easy on the shoulder, yet near .25-06 velocity. Cool looking ctg too.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you look at Hodgdon reloading data for the 280AI you will see they are running over SAAMI pressure levels used for the 280.

Nolser is making 280AI brass so no need to fireform.

I used a new barrel (Kreiger) for my 280AI so I got to order what I wanted so my gain in velocity may be greater than just rechambering an existing barrel. Since you already own the 280 and hopefully you have chronograph some loads depending on what bullet if you only gain 100/200fps that may put you pretty close to the 7mag using less powder.

Well good luck.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
The "Weatherby freebore" is only found in chambers cut for Weatherby magnum cartridges. All others are standard freebore for a given cartridge.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Depending on the bbl. you may find you don't get much gain w/ an AI. I have a 260AI, but I was rebarreling anyway & the cost of dies, well, I would have had to buy new 260 dies anyway. I figure I am getting maybe 50fps over a std. handloaded 260. I also shoot a 280 & can get 3000fps w/ a 140grNAB from my 23"bbl. Yes, it's pushing the 280 hard, but I can get there safely. SO your bbl. & the rechambering will dictate if you get an appreciable vel. gain or not. If you Wby bbl. is "slow" then the AI may be disappointing. Frowner Like HC said, if it doesn't shoot well now, it's likely not going to shoot after rechambering.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby rifles are not the only rifles out there with long throats. Measure some factory rifles and you will be surprised.

One of Us
Picture of daveo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guys, it's all good stuff you posted.
The rifle shoots good now with 160.g NP's for the field.
I never thought about twist having any affect in the deal.
I guess I just miss my Rem.7mag. patriot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daveo:
...I guess I just miss my Rem.7mag. patriot
A man without a 7mmRemMag is in need of a rifle! thumb

Now if you can just line up a HUGE Trophy WHOPPER Old BUCK with the "new" rifle, it will make everything a lot better.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

A man without a 7mmRemMag is in need of a rifle! thumb

Oh no! Eeker

Don't tell me I need another rifle! And I thought I had that covered shooting a 160 gr Accubond at 3000 fps with my 280AI! nilly

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
...Don't tell me I need another rifle! ...
O.....K...., but you "might be" missing out on a few fps - unless you had my current Slow Barrel 7mmRemMag. Wink

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Well, I reload for only 3 of those 280AI wannabes (7 mags) and it takes about 6 more grains of powder to achieve that 50 fps!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see where 6gr is a HUGE consideration with todays economy. Cool