Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

QUESTION ON RELOADING 7RUM CARTRIDGES
 Login/Join

posted
I AM A ROOKIE RELOADER, USING RCBS EQUIPMENT ON MY 7MM REMINGTON ULTRA MAG. HAVING PROBLEMS SEATING 162 GRAIN HORNADY SST BULLETTS INTO REM CASES. I CAN'T GET THE C.O.L. TO 3.6 RECOMMENDED LENGTH WITHOUT THE NECK CRUSHING. I HAVE USED OIL ON THE BULLETT AND IN THE NECK, MEASUREMENTS ARE WITHIN ONE THOUSANDTHS. CAN ANYONE HELP? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Posts: 1 | Location: hortonville, WI | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
buzz, we need more info. (how much powder, how are you seating, etc.) It sounds like you have your seating die screwed in all the way which causes you to crimp the case neck. If it's screwed in too far, the case neck collapses. Back the die off, put in an empty case, no bullet, & run the case into the die. Screw the die down until it stops, back the die off 1/4 turn & then seat your bullet.
BTW, DO NOT put case lube on the bullet or inside the case neck. This causes your neck tension to vary & accuracy will suffer. clap

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For starters, NEVER put oil on a bullet or in the neck. You'll contaminate your powder. Are your cases new? If so, the mouths may not be square. Are they partially neck sized? Also, you may need to back out your die and screw down the seater plug. You may be crimping and crushing. If we could see a photo of the case, before & afer, we could help you more.

Lastly, if the round cycles fine through your magazine and generates the accuracy you desire, don't worry about one-thousandth of an inch when it comes to a recommended seating depth. That is simply a reference point and not something carved into stone.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote