New
Find
Notify
Tools

One more progressive press question?
 Login/Join

Picture of goose5
posted
I have read volumes lately. I have been considering the LNL. There are a few quirks associated with this press.

1. Case ejection problem with 9mm.
2. Clearance problems in the fifth station and the ejection wire.
3. Fragile case retention springs.

What are some quirks with the Dillon 650?

Posts: 9 | Location: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are reasons why the guys with dillons won't consider anything else

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you decide on a Dillon, using the Hornady powder measure and case actuation system will be an asset both in capability and ease of changeover.

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
I owned a Hornady progressive, pre lock and load. The center shaft was worn out in less than 3 months of use. Hornady refused to fix the press as they felt it was "abnormal wear."
The press also suffered from timing issues, priming issues and case retention and removal problems. Truly something that was released before all the bugs were worked out of it.

Hornady uses a poor design on it's progressive press. I have loaded the same cases on a Dillon press with no problem at all. The only thing I will ever buy from Hornady is projectiles.

I now have one Dillon 1050 and a Super 1050. No problems in over 10 years.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Hornady L-N-L AP and haven't had any problems with the press except for the small primer feed system. I only load pistol on the progressive and when loading for cartridges that use small primers I use the large primer system as it never misses a lick. I have loaded thousands of rounds of 9mm, 357Mag, 40S&W, 45ACP, and some 9x18MAK and haven't had any timing issues or worn parts. I have never used a Dillon so I can't compare them, but I'd bet the Dillon users haven't used the L-N-L either. I am sure they are both good presses but the Hornady is less money.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had my Dillon RL550B for close to 20 years
and the only problems I had with it involved parts wearing out that were replaced by Dillon for FREE and the replacement parts overnighted via FedEx.

I'm sure it's possible to improve their customer srvice
but to do so would involve loaning me one of their models for a week.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There will be little problems here and there with any progressive press, Dillons included. The reason that lots of us are so adamant about only using Dillon is that they are going to be there to help with those problems, today, tommorrow and 10 years from now.
You saw what the earlier poster said about his Hornady press, if it had been a Dillon parts would have been sent immediately or the entire press replaced. The LNL may be as good or better press now as a comparable Dillon, but a few years from now when a small part breaks and Hornady can't or won't replace or repair it the Dillon is going to be a LOT better press.
I like RCBS stuff in general but got stuck with a useless several hundred dollar progressive that they no longer have parts for.
So a Dillon may cost a little more now but they are a lot cheaper in the long run.................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
If you still wondering which press to buy, give Dillon a call and talk to them a few minutes. They don't mind. I think that everyone there loads their own. Every time that I've called to order something, they didn't have to look it up in their catalog or ask you to hold while they found the information. It sounded like they knew from experience with the equipment.

Last year, my brother-in-law pulled out his Dillon, a Square Deal press, that had been in storage for about 10 years. He's not mechanically inclined, and had problems getting it set up again. After a couple of calls to Dillon, he still didn't have things right, so they had him ship it back to them, where they replaced some of the plastic parts on the primer feed and them adjusted everything to the point where all he had to do was bolt it back to the bench and start loading. All this, at no charge! Where else can you get that kind of service.

20 years with my Dillon 550B and still love it.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote