New
Find
Notify
Tools

virgin jitters
 Login/Join

<songdog_sniper>
posted
let me explain what i have done so far so maybe i can shake the first timers jitters

i pulled 5 fedral cases that where shot out of my 10 fp 308

first i wiped off the case
than i cleaned the inside the neck with a brass brush
than i polished up the cass with some brush strokes removing the gunk around the top of the neck
than i chamfered the inside the neck
than i lubed the case using a rcbs pad and the lee lube i than took a cotton swab and just run it along the pad and swabed the inside the neck
put it in my full lenth lee resizing die presed it all the way down till the shell holder touched the die and pulled it out
using my micrometer i checked the lenth they varied from 2.20-2.15
using my lee case trimer i trimed them down 2.09-2.10 (the book says 2.05 but my lee trimer won't get them down that far is this a safe lenth)
i than used my rcbs debering tool and used cut the inside and outside (i thik i might be using to much preasure with this tool)
than i clean the primer pocket and made sure the case was nice and clean all the lube wiped away with a cleaning patch.
and using my lee auto prime i set a new cci primer in. now this part scares me. i am not sure that i have the primer deep enough but it looks to the eye the same as the factory primer depth and i am not using any excessive force on the primer.
also i am taking each shell through each procedure one at a time i complelty finish one case before starting anthor.

tommorow i am going to charge and seat these five shells
using 42 grains of varget powder and 168 grian seria hpbt

what i am going to do after seating them to maybe .05 past the recomened oal is chamber the round easly and check for land marks if i see them i will seat it a lkittle more till no marks are shown

does this sound good hoping not to blow my face off

thanks guys

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just few tips you might want to consider.
Don't use any kind of liquid lube inside of the neck. In most circumstances you do not need any lube inside the neck unless you are necking to a different calibre and then you usually use a dry lube. Liquid lubes will make powder stick to your neck, leave burnt grease on your bullet and barrel and be pretty much a all over mess.
Also, do all your trimming and deburring before you resize the cases, with the pressure need to debur you will probably screw up yor neck size a little bit and will have to resize it again anyways.
As for priming, don't worry, it really doesn't take that much pressure. The ideal position of the primer should be when it is flush with the bottom of the case. There is a easy way to check this, simply place the shell upright on a flat surface, if the brass tilts to one side, or you can see any light under the head then it's not deep enough. You will also have a hard time seating the primer to deep since most primer pockets are built to be only slightly deeper than the hight of the correct primer.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Songdog,

Do you have a reloading manual? You mention about trim length so I am supposing you do. Unfortunately all of mine are packed up and moved to my new house so I cannot verify your numbers. However, it sounds like you are doing things OK so far. You usually don't need to do deburring unless you are using lead bullets-especially not when you are using boat tails like you are- and again just a turn or two will do you, and on the outside you just want to remove the burr (deburring tool, get it? ) so your figernail won't catch.

Let me make another suggestion- don't go so long on the overall length of your first few batches of rounds, just worry about getting the procedure correct. The major important thing to accuracy IMHO is uniformity, and that is the reason you do all of your rounds one step at a time, so they all get the same amount of trimming, primers seated to the same depth and pressure, charges all similar (an example here is that if you were weighing your charges by hand, and you took say a week to load up a couple hundred rounds the powder could have absorbed enough moisture to affect accuracy, not much but enough to change match scores possibly). Anyway, like children you want to treat all of your cases equally, but right now when you are learning this is an OK way to do it and possibly prevents stuff like double charging from happening.

If you are using a lee case trimmer and need/want your cases to be 2.05 instead of 2.09 just take a couple of swipes at the pin with a diamond hone. Hopefully someone with a book handy can verify your numbers and loading info.

And of course, good luck and congratulations to the fun skill of reloading!

------------------
Disclaimer: The above opinions are not the comments of an expert, they are the opinions of a nut.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT...REPEAT DO NOT use a loaded round to check seating depth...make up a dummy round with no powder or primer if this is the way you want to check for seating.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote