Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust on RCBS dies
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I just bought a couple of RCBS die sets and one of them is listed as having slight rust on the outside. The inside appears mirror bright but there is a discoloration on the outside. It is rust color but it appears to be almost a patina. Anyone have a product or? that I can get to test what I've got? Anyone have a suggestion on what I can do to make sure this doesn't go any further. Thanks, Mike

Posts: 13 | Location: Redmond Oregon | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fine wire wheel on the bench grinder will get rid of the rust just fine. Lightly oil after the wheel work, store them in a dry place and they should be just fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lightly oil after the wheel work, store them in a dry place and they should be just fine.

I just got back into reloading after laying off for a few years while moving about and all my RCBS dies had the same thing to one degree or another. Craigster is correct - they will be fine after you clean and oil them. It is the inside that is important anyway.

>
I'd rather be a CONSERVATIVE NUTJOB than a Liberal with no NUTS & No JOB
>

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You might consider putting a coat of auto polish on them. This will help prevent rusting.

Posts: 21 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: 01 May 2008Reply With Quote