New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon manuals?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an older Hodgdon manual that is wildly different than what they recommend now. As I study the specs I see some very strange things. For instance on the 223's it says the same powder weight and different bullet weights the heavier bullets are going faster.
Which do you go by?
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
go with the newer / newest manuals a lot of the older manuals used some realy crude methods for their testing.
Also powder specs have changed even thou they kept the same powder number

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
WHICH "older" manual do you have?

Hodgdon Data Manual #26 is dated maybe as late as 1992 or later, although there are earlier editions.

You can find old data manuals in your local library. Generally, newer manuals are reducing loads -- most of the time by 10%.

There's a heap of data available online. It pays to do some research into the loads you're working up. Using one source for load data is like depending on one encylopedia to write your PhD dissertation. -- It might be accurate data, but it's hardly going to give you a perspective on what's being used these days.

As regards conflicting velocities -- barrel length, temperature, barrel itself, bullet type, and various other factors can affect that data.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved