New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triple shock, 110gr 270...Powder???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all, just received the new 110gr 270 ts, any suggestions for powder & primer?? Loading for my wife to hunt whitetail...figured the 110 would have less kick, but being a triple shock, should still have good knock down. Hopefully this combo with a limb saver should be a pussycat.

Posts: 119 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I would use a load H414 start with 52grs and work up max is 57grs. wlr primers, magnum primers would be a good choice.
Should get velocities around 3000f/s at 53grs. depending on barrel length
The triple shock is a good choice, controlled expansion bullets are hard to beat.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good choice for the stated purpose. I've had good luck with IMR 4060 in comperable application. Varget might be a good choice as well as it meters better. For recoil, check the books for the velocity you want and look for the powder that will get you there with the lowest pressure. Primers are less of a factor for accuracy than bullet seating, powder type and case prep. Use any standard primer you like with these powders. I used CCI 200.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the 110 VMax RL 15 was best in one 270. Velocities way over 3000 fps are possible and my loads are heavier than what the Sierra #5 lists.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input & happy holidays...

Posts: 119 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the past I had good results with IMR4064 and 110 grain bullets in the 270. I used Winchester Large Rifle primers and Federal 210 ones.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife shoots the old 100gr. Barnes X's in her 270 Win. They are simply amazing on game, they hit way harder than they should, she has taken over 30 deer ,and a couple of moose, as well as one black bear with this load.
Try some IMR 4350, about 55 to 59 grains,
Use bulk 100gr. bullets and some Varget or IMR 4064 for a practice load.

Posts: 120 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mitchell6873---I really doubt you would notice the slight difference in recoil from a 110grain vs lets say a 130 grain bullet. Here is a formula for recoil factor--its not in pounds and is just a rule of thumb--but I find it very good for comparisons. Play with the numbers and the difference is slight. add bullet weight in grains to powder charge in grains and multiply this by muzzle velocity in fps. Divide that by 3500 and divide that figure by rifle weight in pounds. A number over 20 is considered a kicker and my calculations showed even the 110's to be over that. Gosh if your wife will hunt with you,get her a .243 or some such. After saying that,I have seen some women,even smaller ones that handle recoil better than guys.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote