New
Find
Notify
Tools

BEST 30-06 autoloader load please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a friend that says his 742 rem shoots factory stuff pretty good and thinks handloading will get even better. Right now I'm thinking 50.0 of i4064 under a 150 hornady interlock or 48.0 of I4064 under a sierra 165. Don't need loads that work in bolt's--just your AUTOLOADER success story please. thanks d kraky--PS these loads for 200yd and under wis whitetail.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The loads you list are considered absolute classics that are hard to beat for your intended purpose.

In my Garand I have good luck with 165-grain bullets and 50 grains of Varget.

IMR 4895, Win. 748 and H335 might also be worth considering, but with IMR 4064 or Varget, you simply can't go wrong.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Don, I've loaded 57grs. H4350 with the 150 Hornady for a couple of guys I hunt with, both with 742s, they told me it's an accurate load, being RE15 is my new favorite powder, I'd try 48-51grs. of it, should work really well also, it would also meter better through a powder measure than 4064, they're really close on the burn chart, Jay

[ 09-24-2003, 00:52: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
With the wonderful advice and knowledge I've gleaned from this forum I have developed a recipie for success:

Browning BAR Safari MkII .30-06 w/BOSS

Win brass (FL sized w/RCBS small base dies,trimmed, flash hole reamed, primer pocket uniformed, case neck reamed w/K&M tapered reamer).
Fed GM210 primer.
47.7gr of Varget powder.
Barnes 168gr Triple Shock bullet, seated to magazine length (.102" jump to the lands)
Crimped w/Lee Factory Crimp Die.

The avg group radius of the best three shot groups during load development was a mere .24", am I happy Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!

Posts: 21 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to help a friend load for his slick side BAR. 52gr of 4320 with a 150gr Sierra bullet was pure poison. He used it for a number of years and admitted to a case of DA for trading it for a 7mag after he had been guiding a few years.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Yankee--have you ever chrono'd that load? Darn I'm gonna have to try the triple shocks--problem is I have so darn many of the "blue barnes" sitting onthe shelf--and they made me "blue" trying to get them to shoot!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
kraky,

I have not chrono'd them yet as I had just enough time time to work up the load (I used the OCW method) and my last three weekends have been so busy with other matters I have not had the chance. I HOPE to do that this weekend, for sure the weekend after. I'm real curious as to the velocity as well. I went with the Triple Shocks after reading some early positive accuracy reports (the terminal ballistics were never a question for me) and to say the least I am very pleased. I was at my Cousin's range and a good friend of his that shoots BR competition was there and could not believe his eyes when I was done working up the load (he said something like "that was the best shooting auto he's ever seen"), obviously others could duplicate that performance but considering it was my FIRST time ever reloading it sure made me feel good. If you have not used the Lee Factory Crimp die for your auto, I would highly recommend it as well.

Posts: 21 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote