New
Find
Notify
Tools

forster o/s neck turner
 Login/Join

<dennis hepner>
posted
has any one used the forster neck turning tool?
it's the one used with the case trimmer. i was wondering how they are, good, bad? any info appreciated.
thanks,
dennis

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have one and it works well. Very fast if you wish to true a lot of cases. Make sure you lube the inside of the case necks (case lube or STP lube is fine), and if any brass eventually builds up on the mandrel remove it with steel wool and copper solvent.

I strongly suspect that the hand neck turners like those found at Sinclair International are even more precise, but the Forster Outside Neck Turner does an excellent job according to my runout measurements.

Note that I shoot hunting rifles and varmint rifles, not benchrest. The benchresters pretty much ONLY use the hand tools, for a good reason I'm sure.

Since I moved to Sweden and can get Norma and Lapua cases so cheaply, I rarely turn necks because these brands of cases are so good to start with. If your are using Remington or Winchester caess (and probably most others), turning is probably worthwhile.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<QuarterIncherNV>
posted
I've used a Forster neck turning tool for years and while I used to find it a very boring process I've come to appreciate what it does for my loads. It is very easy to use and using the tips above concerning lubing the case neck and keeping the mandrel clean are the only things that I've ever had any concerns about.

Lately I've taken to using my Forster on the coffee table while watching baseball. For me, it mixes two things that can get a bit boring by themselves but adding them together makes both more appealing. So appealing in fact, I have over 300 cases prepped and turned for 6 different rifles. I'm now starting on cases for my wife's rifles. At least two more months of baseball and cases for 4 different calibers for my wife [Wink] That should keep me busy.

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jpb:
I have one and it works well. Very fast if you wish to true a lot of cases. Make sure you lube the inside of the case necks (case lube or STP lube is fine), and if any brass eventually builds up on the mandrel remove it with steel wool and copper solvent.

I strongly suspect that the hand neck turners like those found at Sinclair International are even more precise, but the Forster Outside Neck Turner does an excellent job according to my runout measurements.

Note that I shoot hunting rifles and varmint rifles, not benchrest. The benchresters pretty much ONLY use the hand tools, for a good reason I'm sure.

Since I moved to Sweden and can get Norma and Lapua cases so cheaply, I rarely turn necks because these brands of cases are so good to start with. If your are using Remington or Winchester caess (and probably most others), turning is probably worthwhile.

jpb

JPB,
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING ONE AND HAVING NEVER SEEN ONE I WAS CURIOUS. I'M LIKE YOU, HUNTING, VARMINTING, ETC.
THANKS,
DENNIS

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by QuarterIncherNV:
I've used a Forster neck turning tool for years and while I used to find it a very boring process I've come to appreciate what it does for my loads. It is very easy to use and using the tips above concerning lubing the case neck and keeping the mandrel clean are the only things that I've ever had any concerns about.

Lately I've taken to using my Forster on the coffee table while watching baseball. For me, it mixes two things that can get a bit boring by themselves but adding them together makes both more appealing. So appealing in fact, I have over 300 cases prepped and turned for 6 different rifles. I'm now starting on cases for my wife's rifles. At least two more months of baseball and cases for 4 different calibers for my wife [Wink] That should keep me busy.

QUARTERINCHERNV,
I APPRECIATE THE REPLY. I'VE USED A FORSTER CASE TRIMMER FOR MANY YEARS AND IT'S BEEN FLAWLESS. I'M A BELIEVER IN TRUING NECKS, MAKES QUITE A DIFFERENCE MOST TIMES. YEARS AGO I BOUGHT SOME LEE BENCHREST LOADING SETS. JUST ADD A PLASTIC HAMMER AND POWDER MEASURE AND LEAVE THE PRESS AT HOME
THANKS,
DENNIS