Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Split case in resizing die
 Login/Join

posted
I've got a split 17 Mach IV bottleneck portion of the case stuck in the resizing die. Any suggestions on removing it?

thanks,

mjg

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
the decapping pin is out correct, and you just have the neck and shoulder stuck in the case?

Clean it well with brake parts cleaner or acetone, then get a small wooden rod and cut a slot in it with a hacksaw, then put a thin strip of sandpaper in teh slot, and use it to polish the inside of the brass case. Now put the die in a vise upside down and drop a bullet into the case. it will go into the neck and stop there. Now warm everything up with a propane torch until it will evaporate the water off when you wipe it with a wet paper towel. Now using your torch over the die melt some solder into the hole, until it has filled up to the level of the broken case. Have your length of solder be long enough you can rub the sides of the case with it. Let cool overnight then turn upside down and use a punch to drive the case out from the top.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
May I suggest a much easier way.

1. Soak the heck out of it with Kroil and leave it overnight.
2. insert a tight bronze bristle brush halfway through it's length
3. Pull it out backwards.
4. If this doesn't work try other methods next.

DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Might as well try that first!

However, my hunch is that the case got stuck which pulled the rim or entire bottom off, a different proposition than the typical case head separation happening in the chamber of a gun, where the gun is fired causing the separation and you have some case elasticity working for you a little.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote