New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady vs. RCBS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hornady model M scale vs. RCBS 5-0-5, is RCBS really worth the extra money?

Posts: 47 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted

<Indiana Tone>
posted
Take a look also at Reddings scales.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own Hornady and RCBS products. AFA quality, I can't tell any difference, BUT...no one, not even the revered Dillon "No BS" warranty, beats RCBS customer service. They've replaced parts I'e admitted losing, free of charge; didn't even charge shipping. Even Dillon doesn't do that.

Eddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hornady scale and it has never failed to be accurate. I check it periodically with with a set of small weights. The RCBS scales I have looked at in the store didn't want to "zero" for me there.

------------------
Endeavor to Persevere

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eddie
Dillion has replaced parts that I have lost befor for free also. They replaced a new 650 that fell out of the back of the truck on the way home. I looked for two days for it. Then called to order another and told them what happend, they sent another one free.
They also replaced one that I had destroied in a fire once. Also no charge.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS 5-0-5 Scale and have not had any trouble with it. Zeroing the scale has never been a problem, but you cannot have any air currents hitting it while measuring. I would never be able to weigh loads outside!

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dillion has replaced parts that I have lost befor for free also.

Not that I doubt you, but an employee of Dillon who hangs out on AR15.com has said, "everything but lost parts." Others have mentioned they did receive replacements and others did not. I'm one of the did nots. Probably depends on who you talk to at Dillon. Never had that problem at RCBS.

Don't misread me; Dillon builds a fine product and has an excellent warranty, but RCBS's is a shade better.

Eddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eddie,
Since you don't know that from your own experience let me simply say that you are wrong. Dillon was way out in front of all the other companies in terms of warranty and customer service for many years.
When Dillon came out with their progressive presses and warranties back in the late 70's no other company even came close. Not RCBS, Hornady, Lyman or Redding.
I used/still use all their products and I can attest that their level of service was way below par.
Anyone who was reloading as little as 10 years ago can tell you the dismal quality and reliability of RCBS progressive presses. About two years ago they finally came out with a decent model in the Pro 2000...about 15 years after Dillon came out with the 550.
I'm not ragging on RCBS...heck I use lots of their stuff. But they have been playing catch up for a long time.
RCBS' current level of customer support is wonderful and welcomed. But its a fairly recent phenomenon. They reacted to the market because Dillon set a new standard years ago and gained market share and loyal customers because of it! Dillon has given me parts for tools I bought second hand or for parts I have lost...free of charge, no questions asked.
Like I said, I like some of the things RCBS has to offer and I think its great they have finally stepped up their level of customer service. But Dillon set that standard nearly 20 years ago and I'm a very loyal, very Blue, Dilon fan because they were the only company out there with that level of commitment for a long, long time...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since you don't know that from your own experience let me simply say that you are wrong.

Apparently you didn't read my post very closely.

quote:
Not that I doubt you, but an employee of Dillon who hangs out on AR15.com has said, "everything but lost parts." Others have mentioned they did receive replacements and others did not. I'm one of the did nots.

1) Dillon refused to replace a part I lost when another Dillon part failed.

2) RCBS has replaced parts I've lost and another I damaged while "experimenting." Both times I was honest with them.

3) I own and use Dillon products. Never said they were inferior to anyone. I did say they have an excellent warranty program.

4) Started loading before Dillon sold presses. Never said anything about the '70s, just that RCBS's warranty (as we speak) is slightly better than Dillon's.

5) I've never owned an RCBS press, only Dillon, Hornady, Lyman, Ponsness Warren and C-H. The Ponsness Warren is my favorite, followed by the Hornady.

Eddie

<auto>
posted
Okay....both Dillon and RCBS are great folks to deal with. Now about the Hornady people...how are they?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know. Never lost or broken anything made by Hornady. I did wear out a spring, but I bought a new one at the local hardware store for a buck or so. I once broke a Lyman part; had to pay for it.

Eddie