New
Find
Notify
Tools

Media for Tumblers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Lyman tumbler. It came with a corncob media that has a green color. This color gets inside of my brass. I wipe off the outside, but when I lube the necks of my brass, I get this green stuff all over my brush. Do I need to do something to clean the inside of the brass? Does this hurt anything if I leave it in? Thinking of switching to a walnut hull media. Any suggestions?
Bulldog...

Posts: 141 | Location: Ruston, Louisiana | Registered: 09 September 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
i use walnut in a lyman tumbler

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

<George Capriola>
posted
I also switched to walnut media. Wipes off easily, no residue. I was concerned about blasting corrosive media residue through the barrel.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the walnut clean better/worst than the corncob?
Bulldog...

Posts: 141 | Location: Ruston, Louisiana | Registered: 09 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Bobshouse>
posted
Walnut is harder than corncob so it cleans better. Corncob is great for polishing.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm switching to walnut. Sounds like its less messy to use as I'm tired of cleaning the stuff off of the brass and my hands.
Bulldog...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a cheap bugger, so I go to the pet supply store and buy crushed walnut hulls that are used for "bird litter". Very finely ground, rarely gets caught in flash holes. Much less expensive than the walnut media sold in gun shops...

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<BEJ>
posted
I read on another board that plain,white rice works very well.

<fxdwg98>
posted
I used to use that stuff then switched to much finer gound media---it works great and doesn't get stuck in the flash hole!

I use a 50/50 combo of walnut and corncob most of the time.

If its really dirty brass I use mostly walnut.

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
F'n corn cob gets stuck in every flash hole.
I'll be switchin soon as I run out.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
At one point I got sick of the corn cob in the flashholes, and switch to walnut.

I then notice the walnut made a lot more dust and switched back.

<Abe Normal>
posted
I clean the brass before I de-prime and size.
This way any media that works into the flash hole is punched out with the spent primer.

As you may be thinking that leaves the lube residue to deal with. That I've been washing off with acetone. I find a pint (US) to be good for several hundred rounds, before it becomes saturated with lube. After sizing I put the brass in one of those large mouth fabric softener jugs (Snuggle makes a nice large jug) save an extra cap and drill a few 1/4" holes in it to act as a strainer. Add the acetone slosh it around for about 30 seconds, switch caps, pour off the acetone and dump the brass into a old towel and allow to dry.

I recommend you do this in a well ventilated area or outside.

------------------
Abe

If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any differently!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The pet supply store will see me tomorrow. The rice is a nice idea, I wonder if popcorn would work (unpopped of course). I tumble for a second time after sizing to remove the lube (Lyman's book recommended this). The problem is as stated, you have to pick every dang flash hole, and handling the brass, your hands get very dirty from the stuff Lyman put in with the corncob media. After seeing how dirty my hands got, I wondered if the residue inside of the brass was polishing my barrel every time I shot and what effect it has on the powder? Also if I didn't get it all off the outside, could that cause a problem in the chamber?

Bulldog...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I initially decap all of the brass, then I give that batch an ultrasonic bath (heated deionized water [120 degrees F] & plain old laundry detergent).

I am actually able to use the batch immediatly. If I choose to polish it, I use corn cob media with either Lyman or Iosso brass polish. The Lyman renders a high luster [used for rifle] whereas the Iosso has a dull sheen [used for pistol].

Since I give all of the brass an acetone bath and high-pressure air hosing upon completing the polishing cycle, I have never ran into any problems.

Best regards,
Alex

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rice will leave a gummy substance on cases, gluten, I believe. I rejected it after a few tries.

Have tried raw wheat and raw grain sorghum. They work, but are hard to get clean enough initially and are too course to clean the insides of necks of small calibers (where you need to get out the lube).

I have found walnut worse than corncob for leaving residue (a brownish, fine dust inside cases).

Use plain corncob with a polishing agent like Lyman or plain old automobile polishing compound. This is the cleanest media that I've yet found, but for a waste product, it sure is over-priced!

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Lee S. Forsberg>
posted
I use Toilet Paper. New Toilet paper, that is.

------------------
LSF/375

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee, after today I needed a good chuckle.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I saw the lyman media on a store shelf and thought this stuff looks real aggressive for that older brass. I bought a bottle and IT IS HORRIBLE. Leaves a residue, sticks in the flash holes, and overall no better cleaner than walnut. I hate corncob to for the above reasons.
To "freshen up" the cleaning action of the walnut with a few drops of flitz metal polish in the media for ea. tumble

<Hicks>
posted
I use walnut media mixed with Fritz metal polish. After tumbling, I rinse the cases in a warm H20 bath, then I use an air hose (helps get rid of moisture and any residue that may still be hanging on) to dry the cases. Works great!

<Mike M>
posted
Plain corn cob with a teaspoon of Hoppes No.9 is about the best and most economical media I've found. When it starts to take a little to long to polish just add another teaspoon of Hoppe's.

Walnut creates too much dust for me and if you don't change it fairly often it will begin to leave a red gummy residue on some cases.

<Steve in MI>
posted
I use 1/3 tufnut(red) and 2/3 corn cobb. leaves no residue and does not plug the flash holes very much ( a few out a hundred will have a some in it) works the best so far. cleans the best as well

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get so frustrated with both corn and walnut media that I looked for somthing better and found it. With a watertight tumbler (thumbler, RCBS Sidwinder...) I use boiling water with a 1/4 cup of granular dishwasher degergent. This completely cleans the inside and outside of the case and leaves no residue at all.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee: Tell us more about your toilet paper method.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

You've left yourself wide open on this one (so to speak if you know what I mean!)

But if you reall want to know how to clean your "brass" with toilet paper I can point you to some other websites.... After all, we are a family oriented board here!

LOL, first good chuckle in 3 days now...

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have an old Thumbler's Tumbler, originally made for rock polishing. Been using it for 30 years.
I use about a pint and a half of steel BB's, a cup and a half of water, and ONE DROP of dish detergent. An hour in the tumbler, a quick rinse in hot water, a couple hours in the hot sun and I have sparkling clean cases with no residue inside the cases.

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
I've been using auto rubbing compound (white -- fine) added to my walnut media and it works just fine. I have a Lee military decapper in my left hand as I unload the cases to pop chunks out of the flash holes as necessary. I've used corn cob and it leaves more residue that walnut. Take an old bath towel, squirt a little charcoal lighter or paint thinner in the middle, dump your polished cases on it, fold it lengthwise into thirds (with the cases in the middle), pick up each end of the towel, and see-saw back and forth. The cases will be quickly cleaned of residue and will dry rapidly. I don't think there's enough residue left inside the cases to be of concern (given that you've removed the chunks and granules).