Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-300 Weatherby load help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted
A guide buddy of mine has a Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 6.5-300 that is giving him and I fits. Its shoots factory at about 1 inch but he bought it for long range and clients to use on black bear hunts. 1 inch is marginal for his needs. I know it isn't the most accurate rifle in the world but I can't get handloads close to 1 inch. I've thrown everything I know at it. 3 different powders, bullet depths with best loads from mag length to 60 thousandths shorter. The chamber is long and can't touch the lands and keep rounds in mag. I haven't tried going to lands single shot yet.

I find old data online for obsolete powder but not much new. I have tried H1000, Retumbo, and R25 for 140 grain bullets. Before we give up and sell it just grasping for straws that someone else has experience with this cartridge any can maybe help. H1000 gave gave best group at 1.23 and book COAL. Book COAL is mag length, anything longer rounds won't feed.

Posts: 764 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with that caliber but when I look up load data for it with 140's, it comes up with RL33 and not RL25. What bullets have you tried? In my Weatherby rifles, I have had good accuracy with the Barnes bullets...either the TSX or TTSX. Generally each rifle has its preference as to which Barnes bullet.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
The 6.5/300 is going to be a throat burner.
I would look at the throat using a bore / endoscope.
The slow burning powder grains are very erosive under high pressure.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
The 6.5/300 is going to be a throat burner.
I would look at the throat using a bore / endoscope.
The slow burning powder grains are very erosive under high pressure.

That was first thing I did. Its fairly new gun but scope showed bore and throat were fine.

I've tried Sierra and Speer in it so far.

Posts: 764 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of my 30-378 Wby rifles set up with Sierras. All of the rest of my Weatherby rifles are either shooting TSX's or TTSX's. I have one 257 Wby that is loaded with Sierras and the other prefers the TTSX bullet. I have load data software that had other powder data but it was with powders I don't have or use in other calibers. Send me a PM if you want me to send some of that data.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
I have one of my 30-378 Wby rifles set up with Sierras. All of the rest of my Weatherby rifles are either shooting TSX's or TTSX's. I have one 257 Wby that is loaded with Sierras and the other prefers the TTSX bullet. I have load data software that had other powder data but it was with powders I don't have or use in other calibers. Send me a PM if you want me to send some of that data.

Thanks Ed. If it were my rifle I would not give up on it quite yet but my buddy has decided to sell it.