Find
Notify
Tools

Redding T-7 turret press
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted
By now i'm sure some of you have experience with the Redding T-7 and i was wondering your thoughts on it. I'll use it to set up multiple dies in a set it and forget it fashion.I also like that they are 100% American made! Was wondering if the turret gains play over time which seems to be the biggest complaint on turret presses. I don't want a progressive press as i weigh and trickle every charge and take measurements on every round so progressive doesn't fit for me. If i can't find a turret press worth noting i will probably buy a COAX.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buy the coax

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I am aware, virtually all reloading presses available in the U.S. are American-made, thus the Redding is no different from others in that attribute.

The T-7 is probably the sturdiest turret press available. An exception might be the Lee (due to its design), but its design precludes any more than four die stations and its alloy construction limits its strength.

I like my T-7, and it is not particularly subject to "play". The center bolt-down allows you to compensate for any wear by simply clamping the turret down tighter (although I've not needed to do this). I use an O-frame press for my heavy forming duties, but the T-7 is certainly capable of normal FL sizing operations without any undue stress on the frame.

Having seven dies pre-set and in place ready to use is handy. My only problem is that I find I need about twice this many to cover the calibers I regularly reload. So, if you are like me, you may wish to go ahead and buy a second turret, which changes out in about a minute using an oversized hex wrench.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
As far as I am aware, virtually all reloading presses available in the U.S. are American-made, thus the Redding is no different from others in that attribute.

The T-7 is probably the sturdiest turret press available. An exception might be the Lee (due to its design), but its design precludes any more than four die stations and its alloy construction limits its strength.

I like my T-7, and it is not particularly subject to "play". The center bolt-down allows you to compensate for any wear by simply clamping the turret down tighter (although I've not needed to do this). I use an O-frame press for my heavy forming duties, but the T-7 is certainly capable of normal FL sizing operations without any undue stress on the frame.

Having seven dies pre-set and in place ready to use is handy. My only problem is that I find I need about twice this many to cover the calibers I regularly reload. So, if you are like me, you may wish to go ahead and buy a second turret, which changes out in about a minute using an oversized hex wrench.

Stonecreek, Can you turn the turret to the die you want then just lock it down with the bolt, then loosen bolt to move it again? That would make sure the play is taken up i would think, If you can do that i may just buy it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Co-Ax tends to load with less runout than my T-7..........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I'm goint to run to cabela's this weekend, hopefully they have both in stock so i can look at em and see both. I've used a coax before at my buddies and know it's nice, just not the T-7.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you turn the turret to the die you want then just lock it down with the bolt, then loosen bolt to move it again?

You wouldn't want to do that. If you oversnug the center bolt (which is hard to do), you simply make the turret difficult to turn without adding any stiffness to it. The turret has detents which hold each die hole firmly in alignment with the ram.

I merely pointed out that the center bolt can be snugged to compensate for any wear in the turret (which won't happen for many, many years, if ever).

DJ points out that he gets less "runout" with his Coax press, and I won't dispute him. I would only point out that ANY press with a conventional 7/8x14 thread system will potentially place the die slightly cocked from the axis of the ram. This is unavoidable. But the Coax system relies on the locking ring to align the die with the ram. The locking ring is simply a miniature 7/8x14 thread which will also be slightly cocked in relation to the axis of the die, therefore that same (slight) misalignment will exist. In fact, the very short (~.150" or so) thickness of the locking ring theoretically allows a significantly greater amount of misalignment than does the thicker (~1") threads of a conventional press. But the differences are theoretical and minimal.

This is why a floating collar type seater die is key to reducing runout -- no press system can hold the dies in perfect alignment with the ram, therefore you need some type of floating collar to compensate.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno about all the theoretical implications of lockring misalignments. I just tried several different presses including Co-Ax presses, Redding Ultramags, Redding T-7, Redding Big Boss, RCBS Ammomaster, RCBS Rock-Chucker, RCBS Rock-Chucker Delux and a Dillon 650 and then measured the different amounts of runouts I got on both the cases themselves and loaded ammo.

The Co-Ax presses simply load with less runout than the others on ammo that I've loaded and measured the runout on.

I do use the Forster lock-rings on all my dies, I don't know how much this contributes since I haven't measured cases using other rings..............................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ
Did you use the same set of dies on all of these presses.The same brass? To make a statement like yours lab quality tests must be set up using the same dies ,brass,bullets,guages,ect.If you have not done this then you only an opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b78-22250:
DJ
Did you use the same set of dies on all of these presses.The same brass? To make a statement like yours lab quality tests must be set up using the same dies ,brass,bullets,guages,ect.If you have not done this then you only an opinion.

Baloney. Reread exactly what I said.

"The Co-Ax presses simply load with less runout than the others on ammo that I've loaded and measured the runout on."

You are trying to make it sound like some big technical lab experiment rigamarole BS. It's simple - The ammo I've loaded on the Co-Ax presses has had less runout. You don't need to add anything to it, though I have done tests with the same dies and components.........................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend got me started with a T-7 and I love it...sturdy and dependable. I was like you in regard to measuring every round but after using it for awhile I'm convinced it's not necessary...and I'm a perfectionist to a fault.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
With the T7, I have the most consistent results over 3 other presses I have used. Solid, dependable, easy to use. Hands down the best I have tried.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use a Redding T7......no complaints and I would buy it again.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a T-7, I'm anxious to get it bolted to the bench. I'm going to use it for .300 H&H, .375 H&H, and .450-400 NE. Conviently enough, adding a .300 H&H neck size die will fill up the turret, and they'll all use the same primer arm.

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman turret and just want to chime in that each type of press has advantages or else everybody would just make one style.

I do want to caution about the only drawback with a turret is that sooner or later you will spin the turret head when the ram is up and the decapping pin of something will hit it and bend. If you're lucky it only happens once, but just be aware of this interference.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote