Find
Notify
Tools

Cracked Corn
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RugerNiner
posted
How well does Cracked Corn from a Pet Store work on Pistol Brass?

Posts: 35 | Location: Lancaster, Pa | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RugerNiner:
How well does Cracked Corn from a Pet Store work on Pistol Brass?

I don't know of anyone who has tried it. Give it a shot and let us know. It would probably work OK, but is it cost effective compared to other medias?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RugerNiner
posted Hide Post
100 pounds from a Feedstore is less then $10.

Posts: 35 | Location: Lancaster, Pa | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying dont try it, but I do not see what its advantages would be. Have you read something about it saying it works well? I have enough trouble with media getting stuck in flasholes, I think cracked corn would be worse.

I haven't had much trouble with media ever since I learned about tossing a couple 1 inch wide strips of paper towel in with the media, it does a good job of keeping everything clean.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never tried it, but quit using store bought media a long time ago. I now use Sea West Premium Harvest cage litter, 3.00 for 5 pounds walnut shells, works great.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
I've never tried it, but quit using store bought media a long time ago. I now use Sea West Premium Harvest cage litter, 3.00 for 5 pounds walnut shells, works great.

That's a good idea.. I pick up walnut media and corn media locally at $5.00 for about 4 lbs... but with the Sportsman's Whorehouse opening up, I wonder if it is going to still stay afloat...

What kind of store carries that product there Swheeler?

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried Jimmy's cracked corn, and I didn't care for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's funny clap

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried bird seed one time. I walked by a bag in the garage and the thought struck me to give it a try.

The results weren't good. The cleaning was poor, and the brass was covered with oil from the seeds. I suspect anything with grain seed will produce similar, unsatisfactory results.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it leave an oil film on the cases? (corn oil?)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well don't ever use Bird Seed for filling ones Bench resting bags !. Strange little creatures hatch and lurk in Dark corners of where ever you store those bags .

Boy Howdy was my Wife Pissed when she found out WHERE they were coming from !!!!!!!!!!!.

I was lucky to have any Bags left !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quaker shoots wheat from guns!

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire it comes from Pets are #1.I put a cap full of Dillon rapid polish 290 in tumbler full of lizard bedding, they shine like a new penny.

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
The heat and friction created by tumbling may well loosen the starch in the cracked corn and make the surface sticky.

I guess you could try a small batch of corn cob laced with a tablespoon of cornstarch. Tumble for a while. If the cornstarch doesn't stick to the brass then, corn should be safe.

It may give a nice polished finish.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kitty litter....thats what ya use for cleaning cases...it works!

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of hcpookie
posted Hide Post
My dad suggested using plain white rice, and it does indeed work pretty good.

=================
My Gun Projects Home - including the Pink and Blue AK-74:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 14 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kitty litter....thats what ya use for cleaning cases...it works!

I tried that too years ago, the clay kitty litter, what a mess- the shit stuck to the cases like mud, and coated the inside of the tumbler too.