Find
Notify
Tools

Load Help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted
I am loading some 180 gr.triple shock bullets into my friends .300 win mag. I am using a barnes manual and Hodgdon h-1000 powder(for this load). They say to load the triple shocks the same as an x bullet, so that's what I did. Here is my problem. I was using a variety of charge weights to work up a load as we are going to the range tommorrow. When I got to the max load of 81gr.(even at 80gr.) it seemed to almost fill up the case to just below where the neck meets the shoulder. It was definately above where the shoulder meets the body. I checked the scale and it was correct. Looking at where the powder was and seeing how far the longer barnes bullet had to travel into the case it seems like an extremely compressed load. My problem with this is that I am using cci 250 magnum primers and the barnes manual used federal 210m primers. Do you think this will cause me a pressure problem? I am going to start shooting with the lower charges, but even though I checked and rechecked it just seemed like there was too much powder in the cases. Am I missing something?

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
don't be afraid of heavily compressed powder charges. As long as you've worked up to them they're safe.....If they wasn't safe you'd have had signs long before you got to these loads.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you haven't shot these rounds yet. Look for signs of preasure as you go. I have always used Fed215 in my 300 Win and never tried the Fed210.

Posts: 3 | Location: Arlingon, Tx | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
No I haven't shot them yet. I've loaded quite a few rounds in my time but never this case/powder combo. It just seemed like a lot of powder. I have a .300 RUM and a max charge of h-1000 barely(if at all) hits the shoulder. Just seemed odd to me.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have a lifetime of articles, publications and opinion that will state that lack of pressure signs per se are not to be trusted.

and your point is???????

Someone could make a ton of money by just developing a "finger" icon isntead of all these smiley faces......

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

don't be afraid of heavily compressed powder charges. As long as you've worked up to them they're safe.....If they wasn't safe you'd have had signs long before you got to these loads.

RIGHT! Shoot the lower powder charges first, of course, in increasing charge weights, and stop shooting when you get to the one load that is the most accurate, or when you do encounter signs of excessive pressure, whichever happens first.

My 175-grain load in the 7X57mm Mauser uses 54 grains of RE 22 or MRP1, and it is almost at the mouth of the case after the charge has been loaded before I seat the bullet. This charge is loaded in two increments - half, then tap case gently with screwdriver handle to settle powder, then add the rest and tap again. You cannot just dump this charge in the case, it overflows unless settled.....

While it may be true that lack of excessive pressure indications means nothing, it IS true that the PRESENCE OF EXCESSIVE PRESSURE SIGNS DOES MEAN SOMETHING! It means you need to back off about 5%!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There must be some other load that does not have to be compressed as much. A downside with heavily compressed loads is that the bullet can work out after seating. This usually happens right away but why chance it?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Tap the charged brass with a screwdriver and the powder will settle some. The load won't be as compressed as you think.

I've loaded up some .06 rounds where the powder was almost running out of the case. Highly compressed. NO pressure problems at all.

But, if you do plan on using a magnum primer, you can be that the pressure will be more than the 210M Barnes used.