New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to compare dies?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Us 3 guys bought 3 Lothar .257 barrels and an 257 Ackley improved reamer.

We each got a Full legth and seater die sets.

I got Forester, Dennis got RCBS, and Paul got Redding.

We are all starting out together, and I want to know if we can objectively compare dies.

What would a fair test be?

One problem is that they are both better shots than me. I have many rifles that will get between 1 and 2 inch groups, but I have never got a 1 inch group in my life.

TIA

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load 15 identical rounds for each rifle, 5 from each die set. Fire 3 5-round groups from each rifle and compare.
As the only variable between the 3 groups is the die used, and that you have 3 repeats of the test (one from each rifle) you should be able to make a reasonable decision on the different dies.
Option: Increasing the numbers from 15 to 45 rounds for each rifle and the number of groups from 3 to 9 from each die set reduces the error factor.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Also, to make it a true comparison:

Using rounds made from all three dies in the same press you each need to either shoot the same rifle, or each of you shoot all the rifles. Make sense? Again, each rifle needs to shoot rounds from all three dies.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Fire several rounds in each rifle as suggested previously.
2. Mark all the fired cases so you can track them individually and by rifle.
3. Measure the fired cases on a concentricity gauge to see how concentric the case is after forming to the chamber, and log your numbers.
4. Now full length resize a separate case in each of the dies, and remeasure concentricity. Do the same for another case, but only resize 3/4 of the neck. Use the same reloading press throughout to eliminate the press as a variable.

If concentricity declines significantly, you will now know if your cases are made worse by a particular die.

Generally speaking, better concentricity is good for accuracy.

------------------
I know the next rifle will be perfect.......

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Sounds like your are more interested,in which dies are better,than improving your groups.You'd be better off working up loads,than comparing dies.They are all good companies.I have components from all of them.They will all accomplish the same thing,if you do the drill.If you don't do your reloading stuff the right way,it won't make a difference which dies you use.Most guys and gals,that reload,don't accept 1-2" groups.
George
www.shooting-hunting.com

<.>
posted
Check the dies for runout in forming necks.

You'd be hard pressed to compare dies by shooting different ammo in different guns.
Too many variables.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Unless there was a gross manufacturing error on one of the set of dies, you are wasting your time and money.

Spend both by working-up loads for YOUR rifle, using YOUR dies...and forget about comparing dies...or barrels...or anything else you and your buddies have in common.

Even if the barrel blanks were bought from the same source, chambered by the same reamer and done by the same machinist, they will not be the same...

(Sounds like a good case of male "die envy" to me...)

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The above advice on comparing dies is right on.

As far as shooting groups goes just copy what your buddies are doing. That's the fastest way to improve.

In addition we must all practice with a .22 LR. There is something about the blast from a centerfire that makes us develop a flinch. You get your trigger finger back with the .22! That and lay off the caffine before a range session and your groups will shrink.