Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler brass vs. Norma for 7X57
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Anyone out there have a preference? Both are priced about the same. Thanks.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still hear complaints of Norma brass being soft in the head. At the same price I'd opt for the Nosler.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of Nosler Custom brass a few months ago and was very impressed. The brass beforehand was weight sorted and the flash holes uniformed.

This Norma .223/5.56 brass was much better than any American made brass and right up there with Lapua.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used tons of Norma. Gives a touch more case capacity. My heads do fine if I stay in the 60-63000 pressure range. Load them to 70,000+ and you will loose the pocket in a couple loadings.

Have some Nosler nice brass just not enough experience to rate it

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever I can buy the cheapest

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard Norma makes the brass for Nosler..so aren't they one in the same?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I found a $50 off coupon and Euro----- hooked me up with some Norma brass.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About Norma making Nosler brass. Gent I shoot with on a regular basis told me of a phone call he'd made to Nosler, guess it was a couple of years ago, inquiring about who made their brass. Whoever he talked to, told him NORMA. Buddy asked you sure about that, and answer was....pretty sure, I've seen the shipping containers we've receiver containing brass, has NORMA on it.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huffmanite,

I've personally seen the container as well. Norma doesn't make all of there brass. I've seen Hornady container's and asked about and there was no comment? but they were proud to mentioned Norma and I sure wished they would use Lapua brass for there RUM cartridges and 240 Weatherby's!!!!!!!!!!!!1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Nosler for a couple of rifles and found the weight and dimensions to be very consistent. Of course, I have no idea of the composition of the brass itself.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using PPU from Graffs for about the last three or four years in a lot of calibers..Its half the price of Norma,Nosler or any other brass..7x57 are about $50 per 100 as I recall as are 30-06s and it last damn near forever..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been using PPU from Graffs for about the last three or four years in a lot of calibers..Its half the price of Norma,Nosler or any other brass..7x57 are about $50 per 100 as I recall as are 30-06s and it last damn near forever..

I picked up some 7x57 from Grafs a couple years ago the head didn't want to fit the shell holder nor the bolt face. I can't remember the off brand but Grafs did take it back no questions asked.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The only complaint I have ever had with Nosler brass is price!

It is the best brass I have used and it houses the most accurate .308 Win loads I have ever put together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36870 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,
Graffs handles about everyones brass, PPU, although its the oldest company in Europe, Graff has only been importing Privi Partisan (PPU) brass for a relitivly short time..

I have had that happen with a lot of brass,including the high dollar stuff. Sometimes it just escapes the folks who watch for stuff like that. They don't pay those guys a lot! Roll Eyes I have not had that problem with the PPU brass Ive used in 9.3x62, 300 Win. mag, 338 Win. and 30-30..I have also necked down 30-30 cases to 25-35, fireformed them without losing but a couple of cases, that's unusual..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Hello Ramrod,

I've run into the same shellholder incompatibility with 7x57, but only with Hornady brass. I do know that for quite a while Graf's had a bunch of brass made for them by Hornady, so perhaps that was the problem. Current PPU 7x57, as well as all the others except H, fit my RCBS and Lee shellholders fine.

Posts: 970 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I was thinking it was Privi. Nothing at all against Grafs. As I said they made it right. Grafs is my go too. I grew up in Mexico, MO and shopped Grafs when they were only an old gas station.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

I picked up some 7x57 from Grafs a couple years ago the head didn't want to fit the shell holder nor the bolt face. I can't remember the off brand but Grafs did take it back no questions asked.

There is a difference in head size with european brass.There is a different shell holder for it.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get a few that don't fit the shell holder form time to time in most all brass, I stick them in the drill press and take a turn or two until they fit...Even when that happens you only get one or two in a 1000 or 2000 cass, that won't fit the shell older.

Norma brass is a little soft, that's why it last longer, and all brass work hardens as you shoot it, so soft brass isn't the bugger some seem to think..If you anneal brass, its soft but it too will work harden soon enough...

Olebiker,
A different shell holder isn't going to make it work in the rifle!!, you still need it to fit the std. shell holder so it will fit the bolt face in every case, so used the std. shell holder and turn the brass to fit both.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120