New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding FL Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Never used the regular redding FL dies. Got a set for my STW. But the expander ball/decapper is off center. You can't raise these expanders up very much like you can a RCBS cause they don't thread all the way to the bottom. When I roll the die the expander wobble real bad. I would think this would cause runout. Haven't used them yet. Only Redding stuff I got is competition die sets, which I can tell you are top notch. Rest is RCBS and Lee.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you cannot get it to center, by loosinging its lock nut and adjusting it, send it back. I had the same problem with a set of 375 H&H dies from Redding. The retailer paid return postage and exchanged them with no questions asked.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would send them back, but just called Redding, and they said, "oh yea, they will wobble some and to just keep it loose". He did mention sometimes they can match up the expander with the body. Thats a crock.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don�t know how bad the wobble is on your die, I�ve seen this too on Redding and RCBS dies as well.

It used to be �common knowledge� that part of setting up your die set was to leave the decapping stem lock nut loose for the first case you resize. As you pull the expander ball through the neck it will pull the decapping stem into alignment, then turn the lock nut down tight with the expander still in the neck to lock it that way.

I�d suppose you could turn the stem such that it was centered as much as possible and then use this technique to make the last bit of alignment. I�ve been doing this for all of my FL dies for about three decades and it seems to work.

Again, I don�t know how bad the wobble is � I did send one die back to Redding, that was a FL for my .375 H&H that was just way, way off, but the slight wobble of the others was corrected easily as above.

HTH.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might turn the stem as suggested and line it up as best you can. Then push on it with your thumb and try to line it up. If it's not in alignment the decapping pin will get broken. I can't say that Redding FL dies are worse than others in this respect.

However I have bought my last conventional Redding FL die. They are very rough inside as of late and require polishing but the final straw is the lack of an air vent hole such as the RCBS dies have. This results in air dents below the shoulder on cartridges with straight bodies.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
I had a Redding die with a similar problem, stem apparently damaged in shipping. Nothing I did would square it up. Called Redding and advisee them of the problem and recieved a new stem within a few days. Installed stem and squared it. Back in business. I've had good service and quality from Forester, RCBS, and Redding.
The floating expander ball is nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can buy better dies than Redding, however, just as anything that is mass produced, not all of them are perfect. Redding will replace the decapping rod if you call them.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Quote - " don't think you can buy better dies than Redding, however, just as anything that is mass produced, not all of them are perfect."

Well, I certainly find that true with their "bushing" type dies.

However, with their standard dies, I am less than entranced.

I bought a new set of Redding .348 Winchester dies. When I used the seating die, I found the seating stem would not enter the die-body sufficiently deep to seat the bullet fully into the case for crimping. Standard Hornady .348 bullets would be left with the crimp groove about .050" above the end of the case.

I called Redding. they asked me to read them the number on the top of the seater stem. I did. The Rep said "Oh, that's the wrong seater stem...send the die back and we'll give you the correct stem." I said, "Why don't you just send me the correct one? I'll either pay you for it or send you the old stem back, your choice."

The Rep responded, "No, you have to send the old die back to us and we'll replace the stem." So, I did. About two weeks or so later I got the die back. Tried it immediately. It STILL wouldn't seat the bullets sufficiently to crimp them. So, I checked the number on the new seater stem...whaddya know?...same number as on the one I sent in!

I called them again. Explained the situation. New Customer Service Rep asked me to read HIM the number off the seating stem. I did. He said, "Well, the first person you talked to was mistaken. That's the right number, and the right stem, must be your brass."

I gave up. Now I use RCBS .348 Winchester dies, which work just fine, with no changes to my brass. (It was new brass, which I had checked for proper length anyway....)

I'm out the price of one set of now unused (Redding) dies, the time to box and ship the seater die, and the cost of one priority mail shipment and insurance.

I still buy Redding tools, but not their "standard" dies. And now I buy only from suppliers such as Russ Haydon or Bob Graf, who I know and trust. If something is wrong with the stuff I get from Russ or Bob, THEY'LL make it good and THEY'LL take it up with the manufacturer.

Best wishes,

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote