Find
Notify
Tools

Re: NIRVANA ACHIEVED WITH THE TSX AND THE 30.06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
JOrge,
I also was/am a confirmed Barnes hater...but the new 150 gr. TSX shot fantastic in my .308, and the hollow point was square and large...then guess what? the first deer shot with that bullet at 50 yards took a solid shoulder hit, found a small piece of lung and a skimpy blood trail that petered out in 10 feet..went into the Cianosa and 4 hours on my hands and knees tracking until he went in where a big bunch of deer had been, and that conquered my skills without blood..I saw the hit in my binoculars and it was center body just behind shoulder..It could only have been failure to open up...but I have to tell you I have been jinxed with Barnes X bullets since they came into being, but only on deer size game, they work great on Buffalo every time as far as I can tell...but I am back to hate mode on Barnes bullets, and I have given them many chances, its just not in the books for me....

I did hear some shooting just over the hill when I quit the tracking, so maybe that was him..Either that or he is somewhere in that Cianosa and thats possible because one could be 3 feet from you and you would never see him....It sure doesn't help ones mood to lose an animal, its an awful feeling but it happens if you hunt and the more you hunt the more its going to happen, fact of life.

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
AZ: It HAS to be the TSXs that give you that kind of velocity. I'm hard pressed to get 2950 out of my 300 H&H with 180gr Noslers and a 26" tube. I'm all set for Africa with the Noslers, but the TSXs seem to be the way to go. That velocity is unreal out of a 22" barrel! jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

"THE VELOCITY IS UNREAL OUT OF A 22INCH BARREL".....the pressure must be unreal to.....

regards daniel

Posts: 1487 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Jorge: I too have a pre64 FWT '06 and have been using the TSX 180gr, WW Brass, WLRM primer, Reloder 19. Groups have been .85" average ( five 5 shot groups, 100yds) @ 2,870 fps on a PACT Pro chronograph. Its taken two bull elk, one 6X6 and one 6X7 at 80 and 210 yds respectively. No bullets were recovered; performance was superb.

The TSX in my 257AI and 338Win produce higher velocities and better accuracy than previous loads. I've taken three bucks with the 257AI with excellent bullet performance, however, none with the 338Win yet, a situation I hope to remedy in about 28 days.

Posts: 64 | Location: AZ, Maricopa, Phoenix | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote