THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Issues with short action when reloading .260 Rem

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Issues with short action when reloading .260 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted
What issues are there when hand loading .260 Rem when shooting in a short action vs long action with regards to seating depth and proximity to the lands?

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
None that I know of. Just keep the bullet off the lands, fitting in the magazine, and load work up as normal. Starting at OAL guidelines in the manual is where I start. Ruger 77 markII short action is what I load for my son. I have some data if you want it.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
Thanks. How much does it reduce the powder load capacity? Do your loads end up compressed at all?

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Forget the book OAL and seat bullets to match your throat.
However far off the lands you like. Work up loads as you see fit. Use long actions, like I said in the GS section.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
It's too late. I had already ordered the short action.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The 260 at my house likes h414 to ramshot Hunter speed powder. No compression with 140 160 grain cup and core. Even slower powders work well says the books but I've never used them.
I would love to have a DCPD long action 260 with a 25 inch step profile barrel and good front sight. I'd put my xs peep on the weaver base on the rear when I wanted to use irons. I figure that would be a great "old man packin' rifle" and that is where I'm at in life.
Happy hunting!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how long the the short action CZ magazine is?
I called CZ and they measured the magazine and came up with 2.907". So now we know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What dpcd stated, however be sure they will fit the magazine..bullets seated out allow for more powder and thus more velocity, in some calibers its the only way to go and it works like a charm. 8x57, 7x57 for instance..As to the .260 Ive not tested that caliber..It also seems to work best with ball powders. H414 in the 8x57 and 7x57 duplicates the 7mm Ackley and walks on the heels of .280 (beats factory loaded 280 ammo) The 260 might be a good project to work on..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my .260 likes 4064, RL-15 some H-380 all with 140S

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quarterbore:
What issues are there when hand loading .260 Rem when shooting in a short action vs long action with regards to seating depth and proximity to the lands?

Are magazines involved? For single shot there are no issues. For magazines you're obviously limited to the length of the magazine. What is your application?

If you want to shoot long pointy high BC bullets from a magazine then you might have to compromise a bit. This is one slight advantage the creedmore has over the 260: its shorter case allows longer bullets to fit a magazine.

If you want to shoot light/stubby bullets from a magazine then there should be no issues.

Then you can also get different magazines, some of which allow longer rounds. I shoot 7WSM out of a detachable magazine, and the alpha magazines are made without internal spacers (compared with aics magazines). This allows a 2.95" cartridge length. Blind magazines can probably be made quite a bit longer than that.