New
Find
Notify
Tools

chronograph
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am interestead in buying a chronograph but have no idea what to look for, what brand would you recomend?

Posts: 27 | Location: UT USA | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Chrony F-1 Master is an excellent all around chronograph. They make more expensive ones that do all the calculations, but if you want one that just gives velocities this is the one. It can also be integrated with a printer so you don't have to waste time recording numbers. Just keep shooting.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I've been using the PACT Profession for over ten years and could not be more pleased. Rugged, reliable, and one BIG plus over the Chrony, it is not sitting in front of the muzzle, just waiting to catch a stray bullet. Over the years I have seen a lot of people post about shooting their Chronys, some, more than once! Of course the solution to that is, DON'T SHOOT YOUR CHRONY! And never, ever let anyone else shoot through your chrono. I hate to be an old fart, but whenever anyone at the range wants to test a load through my chrono, I tell them, only if I do the shooting, or if they are willing to put $50 up in case they shoot my screens and sensors. They usually make faces, but then either let me do the shooting or go away, either one suits me just fine.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can buy 3 chronys for the price of one Ohler and my
only complaints so far with the chrony are that they dont like low light and are a bit sensitive as to where the bullet flies over them so they are a little tricky to set up.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by uper:
[QB]"I can buy 3 chronys for the price of one Ohler"
I did buy three Chronys. Now I'm going to save further expence and frustration and get an Ohler. Jim White has the right scope on this subject.If your Chrony's been good to you I revel in ypur delight. mine have been poorly designed and manufactured and the factory put them on the market knowing that a number of them at least( and I got them) were marginally operational at best. To answer the original question--- I [Frown] f you got the money and can afford it get the Ohler.

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HAVE A Chrony and a Pact with all the bells and whistles.

I leave the Chrony it in my shooting box out in my covered shoot shed so I can check anything with running back to my other shed.

I use the 2 in line every now and then to verify that are accurate. Only a couple feet difference between them.

When serious I set up the Pact and it does ALL the calulations for the loads but it is more of a pain to set up.

I use the Chrony more just because it is handy.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the CED Mellinnium.

I have one and I love it:
-Big numbers on an LCD screen (you can see it in a scope form 150yds
-Capability to do low-light sensing with a an optional infrared sky screen (it will work in the dark!!!)
-Easy to use functions (lots of calcs if you want them)
-Easy interface to your computer to download strings

Dillon sells it, or try a site called www.shootingsoftware.com. They offer a pretty good piece of software to do ballistics, load tracking, and much more.

Posts: 1 | Location: Lexington, KY USA | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Chrony Alpha Master, and have only used it once so far. Setup is quick and easy, and this model has the "brain" on a fairly long wire that easily reaches the bench, so no trouble with reading the number or shooting the unit. Also good for public ranges where you may have to wait for a lull in the action to reset the string. The only trouble I had was an error message for one shot, when the diffuser had come loose. It seems the diffuser mount tends to work itself loose and needs to be seated every now and then. And you need to study the manual in order to get the std. dev. and other data. It's not intuitive.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Big Bore and Lawcop

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gun Geek:
Take a look at the CED Mellinnium. <br /><br />I have one and I love it:<br />-Big numbers on an LCD screen (you can see it in a scope form 150yds<br />-Capability to do low-light sensing with a an optional infrared sky screen (it will work in the dark!!!)<br />-Easy to use functions (lots of calcs if you want them)<br />-Easy interface to your computer to download strings<br /><br />Dillon sells it, or try a site called www.shootingsoftware.com. They offer a pretty good piece of software to do ballistics, load tracking, and much more.

Does anyone else have any experience with this unit?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Nine years ago I hyped the Oehler and still do. oldroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned and used a lot of different chronographs and the Oehler 35 and the 43PBL are the best I've used.
The PVM-21 is even more expensive than the Oehler 35 but I haven't tried one yet.
Of the less expensive chronographs however the~$100 Pro Chrono Digital is head and shoulders above any of the several Shooting Chrony models I've had. There is simply no comparison due to the fact that the PCD almost always reads a shot put through the guide rods.
The same cannot be said for any of the SC models I've used.
I have run a test of sorts using three different chronographs. The Oehler 35, the SC Beta, and the PCD.
I put them in line and shot bullets over all three units simultaneously. The results were surprising in that all three recorded nearly identical times (at least when the SC Beta gave a reading). I juggled the order around with each one in each position and invariably the first chronograph recorded the highest velocities and the last unit recorded the lowest velocities.

In 20-25 years I've never shot any of my units.

Get the PCD, you'll be glad you did and you can use the saved money for more shooting supplies.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the "Beta" and "Gamma" model Chronys for years and got good results from them. The Diffusers had a tendency to break with constant use, but they can be taped together and used. I then got a used Oehler 35-P and didn't know what I have been missing. I have used it now for several years and am very happy with it's use. The Oehler's offer excellent advice if needed and parts can be ordered. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2355 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I had a Shooting Chrony for a few years. Replaced the plastic diffusers twice. Jury rigged the jointed rods several times. Put up with the error messages. Hard to read sometimes and would have to get up from the bench to get a sideways view. Didn't shoot it though several times I started to. Mad

Then got a CED Pro Chrono about 3 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat since. One piece diffusers. One piece rods. Wider shooting area. Easy to read display. And cheap.

Shooting chrony

Pro Chrono

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the insight guys. I think that I will pull the trigger on a ProChrono Digital. Their on flebay for $107.18 new & free shipping.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote