THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Has anyone tried 6mm 90gr Lapua Scenars on Game?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone tried 6mm 90gr Lapua Scenars on Game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Usage would be small deer - will they reliably expand (MV in region of 3,200fps) without exploding, pencelling through or deviating greatly?

I could do without a lecture from generalists.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you try shooting at wet newspaper and see what results. Test it against other bullets. I have a friend who hunts deer with 30 cal SMK's.

Posts: 40 | Location: Maine | Registered: 04 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not used the 6mm Scenars but have used the 6.5 108gr Scenars. They make good brain busters but on meat they are like a hand grenade. Very explosive if you hit bone or something solid.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
They are NOT suitable for hunting! They behave very erratic - some will expand like a softpoint, some will behave like a fmj, some will tumble upon impact and some will explode like a varmint bullet.

They are fantastic for what they are designed to do - punch tiny groups on paper.

Posts: 44 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Same as what 375RUM said, I used them at about 3150 FPS. sometimes zip right through, others there was an impressive explosion. May have something to do with bone impacts, but nevertheless inconsistent.