New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleanest powder for 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been shooting a starter load of 38.0 grains of H380 in my 22-250 Encore. I was using CCI Bench Rest primers and I noticed what I consider to be too much fowling in the barrel...looks like a bunch of unburnt powder laying in the bottom of the barrel.

At any rate, I noticed in a Speer loading manual that they recommend Magnum primers for all Ball powder listed in the 22-250 load section.

So I bought some magnum primers....still seems to be a lot of "powder" left in the barrel.

SO, I HAVE 2 Questions:

First, what is a cleaner powder, and

Second, what powder gives the best overall performance???

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest trying either H 4895, Varget, or N 140. They all burn pretty clean and have worked well in several 22-250's for me.

R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget is going to be hard to beat.....Its about perfect for the 22-250 and it is a stable powder so you don't have to be too concerned about temp. changes...Its all I use in my 22-250....Good luck....George

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I'd have to put in another vote for Varget. Quite impressive how clean that powder seems to burn, and in other rounds as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ZZ,

Varget works well. A near max load gives me consistent results with a clean burn in my rifles.

I am not familiar with the Encore what is the barrel length? Anyone have any thoughts on barrel length and powder burn in the .22-250??

Kind regards
Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 26" heavy barrel on the Encore 22-250.

On the Varget and 22-250 round, what primer are you guys using???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i must be living wrong or something. I hate Varget. I have not had the luck with it that everyone else seems to. I like the way it meters, but beyond that, NOPE.

My 22/250 powders have settled into IMR 3031, RL 7, RL 15, IMR 4895 and IMR 4064, and IMR 4198. Honorable mention goes to W 748 when I am out of the other above listed powders, as does H 414, with heavier bullets.
All the above mentioned powders give me much better accuracy that Varget or H 380 ever do. Don't get me wrong about H 380 as it is one of my ' to go to " powders in several other calibers.
This experience is based on 4 different 22/250s.
Two factory Rugers and two custom barreled rebarreled Winchesters, 3 heavy barrels and one sporter weight barrel.

I must just live in the Burmuda Triangle of Powder Luck.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

On the Varget and 22-250 round, what primer are you guys using???

GM210M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RazzerVARGET MAN VARGET! gunsmile

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try loading 39gr. H414 with a cci#350,which is a large magnum pistol primer.ww brass. Seat bullet about 1/2 turn of die off the lands. I shoot a ruger#1b.I really don't know how clean this is but I shoot till the ground squirrels are gone or it gets dark and dont lose any accuracy. Doesnt seem like its real bad when I clean it. Let me know if it works out for you.