New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Light-heavy to crimp 35 whelen rounds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m new to reloading, I loaded some 35 Whelen rounds, 54 grains of Reloader15, kind of light but it’s 10% less than max 60 grains in the book.
Using 200 grain Hornady interlock SP.

I made only light crimps, it that satisfactory?

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typically, no crimp is required for bolt action rifles, heavy rifles excepted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, is it a hazardous that I crimped them?
Will it cause too much pressure?

also -Thank you Winchester 69

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Go to the Lee web site and read about using the Lee factory crimp die...very useful with lever rifles and tube magazines...no ill effect with bolt rifles..only another die/step...heavy recoil rifles recommended..length of case will not buckle case with lee crimp die...I found no increase in accuracy using a crimp die in 223 varmint rig..

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
If you follow recipes from a standard load manual, crimping should not be a problem. Even then I would inspect the rounds fired looking for signs of excessive pressure. The reason to crimp is to hold the bullet in place during recoil and shipping. I never crimp bolt action rifle loads. I do crimp autoloader ammo.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnyg:
So, is it a hazardous that I crimped them?
Will it cause too much pressure?

also -Thank you Winchester 69

You're quite welcome.

Crimping will not affect your loads safety-wise. It will add a variant in neck tension. Heavy calibers (over 375) are typically crimped to protect the rounds in the magazine from the effects of recoil, like shortening the OAL.