New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 grain Swift bullet loads in 45-70 Number 1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a Ruger Number 1 in 45-70 and was thinking about rechambering it to 450 Nitro. After thinking about it I wondered if maybe using Swift 450 grain bullets and max loads I might be able to bring the Ruger close to 2150 fps while still staying within a safe pressure level.

If anyone has done any load development involving the 45-70 and 450 grain Swifts I would appreciate any information you could provide.

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not had any experience with that caliber or bullet, but what if you started like all new loads and worked up to see what velocities you get? In a Ruger #1 loads can be a lot hotter than some other 45-70's.

I can't remember which one, but one of the loading manuals had 45-70 loads specificly for the #1.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hodgdons web sight has the heavier loads.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks impala#03 and Lamar, I have checked Hodgdon's web site and also with the Swift Manuel and Speer Manuel which I have but they all deal with 400 grain or 500 grain bullets in the 45-70. It seems that no one has done any work on load development regarding the 450 grain bullet in the 45-70 for the Number 1. With the plus .300 S.D. of this bullet and the possibility of reaching the magic 2100 fps with this load I am amazed someone has not looked at this as a possible DG load in the Ruger Number 1.

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steven,

I almost bought a No.1 in 45-70 with the same thing in mind. I bought a 375 H&H instead. Keep posted on your development with the 45-70 in the No.1.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote