New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot loads in bottleneck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just reading an old reloading book and came across shot loadings for straight (more or less) wall cartridges. and how it doesn't work too well in bottle neck cases. So I thought what if a guy turns some brass to the outside dimensions of his case, say 375 imp. Then just drills a .375 hole down the center so he more or less has a straight wlled case. What kind of loads would work, say 300 grains of shot over some unique or something. Maybe a grouse load while you are hunting grizzlies. Anyway anyone try this or something close.
Thanks in advance

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Kind of like an adapter cartrige for shooting 22LR in a 22 Jet revolver.

What would you use, a 375 Win? How would you get it to seal in the chamber?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not like an adapter a cse made just for shot, where the internal shape is like a 375 win. so you could load powder, wad, shot , and seal it up with another wad.

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
But the whole assembly would have to seal in your rifle's chamber. How would you do it with case walls .150" thick? That's how thick they would be if you has a straight hole in a 375 H&H body. The pressure required to seal this in your rifle's chamber would have to be tremendous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a hypothetical situation that requires thinking "outside the box". Generating a chamber seal could be accomplished by the application of a neoprene O-ring, either in a groove machined into the body of the custom made case or into the extractor groove which may need to be deepened and/or widened.

The idea of launching a load of small shot down a rifled barrel, however, has been tried and tested many times with poor results, at best. Generally, the shot column opens to a ring type pattern or disperses like chicken feed being thrown from the hand.

Another down side of repeatedly firing small shot down a rifled barrel is a build up of lead in the lead edges of the riflings. This becomes most prolific in the first few inches of riflings and can become so bad from negligence in cleaning that extreme, if not lethal, pressures can result from firing bullets through the same barrel.

It's kind of a neat idea, but it just doesn't work very well.

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot charges fired in any rifled barrel all exibit the same wide patterns. The centrifugal force imparted by spinning the shot colume along with the abcense of any choke to squeeze the charge results in the "doghnut" shape of the pattern.

TC makes a .44 and .45 shot/pistol barrels for the contender. The .44 is for the shot capsule loads in a standard .44 case. The .45 is a 45 long colt/.410 barrel. In both cases a choke consisting of straight rifling to grab the wad to stop the spin.

Lasserre in Argentina makes a single shot pistol called the super comanche. It is an extremely cheap copy of the contender, with the same idea, using a straight rifled choke to stop the spin. It works just fine with 2.5 and 3 inch .410's. But sucks royally with long colt ammo. Too long a jump to the rifling for the long colt bullet!

If you could put such a choke on a rifle, it might work as well. Sounds like a lot of work AND money for little gain!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Along the lines of shot out of a rifled barrel,
I have a H&R slug gun.I love it to death.
Using factory sabot slug loads,it will hold a three shot group of two holes touching w/ a flyer about 2" away at 100 yards.
Now,if you fire a load of #4 out of it,you get eye popping results.The shot comes out in a spinning funnel that spreads rapidly.
I shot it over a small farm pond and it patterned at about a foot wide to start then spread to 5-6 feet in around 10 feet.
Pityful for Quail, but a real Alley Sweeper for sure. Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote