New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compressed load?
 Login/Join

<bjk>
posted
This came up in a question I asked about 30/30 and IMR 4895 filling up the case(Thanksagain to all who answered). Can someone explain a compressed load, or point me in the right direction where there is some information on what constitutes a compressed load. Is it simply powder that fills up the case and the bullet compresses it when seated, or is there more to it.

Thanks in advance
Brian

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Brian -

quote:
Is it simply powder that fills up the case and the bullet compresses it when seated
You got it!!

Read through your loading manuals. Somewhere in most of them is a description of compressed loads.

R-WEST

------------------
"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time"
Rush Limbaugh

[This message has been edited by R-WEST (edited 03-22-2002).]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As the expression says- as soon as the bullet compresses the powder charge when seated, there is a compressed load.

Be aware that the enormous force of the press will perform the compression easily, but cases may be deformed, extruded and disk powders may be damaged (which makes them faster) and the compressed powder may push the bullet back a bit.

When you need so much powder in your load, you may use a long funnel through which you fill the powder into the case slowly and by permanent tapping or vibrating. By this you get a real compact load compared to the compressed load and its disadvantages.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
It is that simple explaining a compressed load. You may be using the wrong powder. most cartridges shoot best with a powder that fills the case to the shoulder. Some cartridges may have compressed powder charges but the vast majority do not. The 30-30 is not known for compressed powder charges. My files show IMR-4064 and WW-748 as good powders for the 30-30 cartridge