Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey,
I would like to know, if there is somebody out there who has som good fireforming loads for 35 WHELEN. I usually use Norma and Vitahvori powder.

I would also like to know how much headspacing can be a problem in the 35 whelen. I have just god at new 35 WHelen barrel for my Sauer 202. I have tryed som loads at the shooting range and they were not impressiv. The smallet were a little less than 2".

How much does the precision depend on the headspacing? Some calibers are more sensetiv to larger headspacing.

Johannes

Posts: 46 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JTK If you have a standard 35 Whelan I assume you are not using factory 35 Whelan cases and are forming them from some other caliber such as the 30-06?? I have a 35 Whelan Imp and have formed cases from std 35 Whelan brass and from std 30-06 brass. Once through the sizing die to open up the neck to .358 diameter and load them. I started off loading some inexpensive .357 diam handgun bullets and used a fast burning powder like IMR 4198. Norma 201 would also be suitable.After developing full power loads with hunting bullets in the fireformed cases I tried the same full power load in cases that were not fireformed and found they shot to the same spot and grouped the same as the fireformed cases had. In other words it really wasn't necessary to fireform the cases.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
JTK,

Hello and welcome to the AR Forum. I shoot the 35 Whelen all the time and believe it to be a very good allo around big game caliber.

I normally start with 35 Whelen R-P cases, so fireforming is not an issue. You speak of headspace and I have not observed any difficulies with this cartridge in my 2 rifles. Once I fire these cases the first time I resize to only touch the shoulder and that is wher I set the die.

Concerning accuracy, I have found that it my rifles this is very bullet dependent. My most accurate laods are with 225 grain Nosler Ballistic tips, but may be lightly constructed for large game animals, so I use it for practice. For hunting I use Barnes 225 grain TSX which shoots 0.75" groups fairly consistently.

What loads have you tried thus far? Can you get Norma 203? If so, I beleive this would be a very good powder for your loads as it is very similar (if not exactly the same) as our Allient Reloader 15 which is manufactured in Sweden.

Good luck and good shooting,
BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1218 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
I have used Lapua 30.06 Brass.

I have until now used Norma 202. I have some Vithavouri N-150, I'm going to try. I have used Hornady Interlokt 250 grains, Nosler Partition 225 and 250 grains.

I know a guy who is using Norma 203B. But I figure, I will be using the powders I mentioned before.
Johannes

Posts: 46 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on what bullets you have available, the Seirra 225gr bullet is very accurate for me in my improved whelen. The nosler BT is built very stout, section one and you will see. VV 150 looks like it would be a very good powder to work with, RL-15 seems to be the powder a lot of Whelen shooters use, but I lke AA-2520 in my gun. Ball powders work well when loading on a progressive press. Good luck with your Whelen, I hope you get it to shoot the way you want, I love mine and now have several 35 cal hunting guns and pistols. No tracking of game, just shoot it where you want it to drop and there you are.

In North Dakota, winter sucks

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
this cartridge is easy to reload for.. We tried 4 powder charges of IMR 4064 with standard CCI LR primers the bullet was a 250 Hornady...start at 54 grs & work up a third of a grain at a time.at 55.4 we got it right..your gun may not be safe with this so double check any data u use...At 100 yds the bullets touch each other best three are .575..not bad from a converted Savage SS 116, a bargain Adams & Benett replacement barrel & a ten power leupold scope.I always wanted a Whelen & this gun came out better than I could have hoped for..I did the trigger,stock work & replaced the barrel myself..Tell me I was not a bit nervous touching off the first round..mike in ct

posted Hide Post
Davs Johannes

I´m shooting a 35whelen AI in my Blaser. Have had very god results with Norma 202. If I remember correctly 57grains with a 250 Nosler part. is good for approx 2625FT/min.You would probably have to start 5 grains lower shoting the std.Whelen. I would also look at VV N540, thats the next powder i`m trying.

Regards
Stig

Posts: 9 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote