Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Rem SAUM or WSM?
 Login/Join

<Hux>
posted
I searched the archives but found zip.

Anyone done a 6.5 Rem SAUM or the WSM and care to comment on performance vs the 6.5/284?

Would you do the WSM or SAUM over the 284 version?

Thanks in advance

Hux

<grkldoc>
posted
Really!?
I have posted at least 3 times on the 6.5 WSM including load data. Other people have posted much as well.
I guess the search engine isn't doing its job.

Here it is in a nutshell. Have built three rifles the best one has produced the following velocities
with 27"barrel PAC-NOR
95 gr HVMAX 3820fps bullets blew up
108 gr. lapua 3600fps
120 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip 3350 fps
1 in 8" twist maximum pressures determined with peak strain gauge

Cases are a pain to reload. I hate to full length size cases. After the second round, cases need to be full length sized every round for chambering. The case is probably too fat for the metal around it and sticks at lower pressures than any narrower case design. It your ok with that, its a fun little case with velocity potential similar to the 264 win mag. I just built a lightweight hunting rifle in this chambering.

<eldeguello>
posted
Have no experience with either the Rem. or Win. 6.5 short magnums. Would prefer the one on the .284 Win. case. It has the same case capacity as the 6.5/'06, which IS PLENTY for the .264" bore!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jesse James posted in the Big Game Hunting forum about shooting an antelope with 6.5 WSM - check it out.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote