New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which primer? Winchester or CCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please don't tell me to read the manual. I'm getting an order together to order everything at once. Manuals, press kit, powder, and bullets. No stores near me sell any reloading stuff.I want to be able to at least load something when everything comes in.
I'll be loading 3006 and 7mm mag to start using nosler 150 silver ballistic tip. Please don't think I'm dumb, I just want to make sure and order the right thing. I know the 3006 will take a large rifle primer. Will the 7mm mag need the magnum primers or will the large rifle work OK. Seems like some of the primers had numbers instead of just large and small. Please give me your suggestions. Plan on using IMR powder

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
WB,

I have to admit, that I use both fairly frequently in all calibers I load for...

They have both always provided excellent accuracy, and I haven't seen any difference at point of impact using either on the same loads...

The only differentiation I make between them, is that the Winchester is softer...

So when I am loading surplus military brass that might have a tighter primer pocket, then I use Winchesters exclusively...

I even use regular large rifle primers when I load magnums also.. they always work just fine in my experiences...

cheers..
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you have an AC556 go with CCI -specifically their #41...

posted Hide Post
What powder/powders do you plan to use ? Some powders need the extra kick of a mag. primer to burn efficiently for certain cartridges.

Posts: 13 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Winchester Large rifle will get you by in both calibers. The 7 MM will need a magnum only in extremely cold conditions,or if the powder charge is compressed behind a light bullet. That is my opinion.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've exclusively used CCI primers for 30 years, never tried the Win primers I did try the soft Federal primers once and was deeply disappointed so I am staying with the CCI's. They have been a great and consistant primer for all my reloading.
I may be different than some but I play them by the book, Large Rifle primers in the 30/06 and Magnums in the 7 Magnum. Never a doubt that way.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
For the bullet weights you describe, IMR4350 would be the top choice if you are going to use only 1 powder. One of my best loads in the 7mag is IMR4350 and the 150 grain Swift Scirocco.

I now only use Federal Gold Medal match primers, but I've had excellent results with the WW primers in the past. I have only used the Federal primers in the last several years b/c I found several bricks on sale from a guy who was retiring from the business. I bought so many, I doubt I'll need to buy any more in the next 5 years.

I prefer to use magnum primers in magnum calibers and standard primers in regular large rifle calibers. I have a safe full of Fed GM 210s and 215s.

If you plan on using additional IMR powders, try IMR4831 in the 7mag. That powder has produced my best load to date with the 150 Btip. And, it will work in the 30.06.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please don't tell me to read the manual.

Why not read the manual? It will tell you what primer was used for given load data. Inherent in that will be whether the primer was a standard or a magnum. With that information, should you desire to use a different brand, you will at least know if the data provider felt a magnum primer was necessary with that charge.

quote:
Seems like some of the primers had numbers instead of just large and small.

Knowing the different primers is very important. As you have noted, there's no consistency with the nomenclature between manufacturers. However, you must learn this as it is very important. If you don't know this, I would suggest that you slow down a bit.

All that said, you've gotten some good advice in the other posts.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After many years of shooting thousands of rounds I use only Federal primers, they give me my best accuracy. I used to worry myself senseless by the time I used them all and compared, they I did a target count for accuracy and decided to rid mlyself of that problem. That has been several years ago and I have never regreted the move. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You can use the same primer for both if you use the same powder or close to it. For me, I would start w/ Fed. 210M for both. Powders, IMR4831 or H4831sc will perform well in both. For max. vel. in the 7mag, you would want to go abit slower IMO, like RL22 or IMR7828.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote