New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weighing Every Tenth Charge
 Login/Join

<.>
posted
SOP in reloading with a powder charge dispenser holds that you weigh every tenth charge. (If you're not weighing every charge for accuracy!)

Every tenth charge just happens to be a "row" on my loading blocks, so that's easy to remember.

BUT . . . and I've been guilty of overlooking this part . . . It's wise to check the scale every tenth charge to ensure that it's set up correctly. Not necessary to "zero" the thing. Just make sure the poise (weights / notches) are in the right settings. That little, tinny, slot of steel on the 0.1 gr. rack has a bad habit of jumping around. The 5.0 gr. notch can get into a shadow on the bench and be set completely wrong.

I loaded 14.5 gr. once when I intended to load 9.5 gr. The 5.0 gr. poise was on the wrong notch. Yeah, case head failure . . . I got lucky.

<Infidel>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Genghis:
I loaded 14.5 gr. once when I intended to load 9.5 gr. The 5.0 gr. poise was on the wrong notch.

That's one reason that I like it when I find good recipes that are close to filling the case, or lightly compressed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genghis:
SOP in reloading with a powder charge dispenser holds that you weigh every tenth charge. (If you're not weighing every charge for accuracy!)

Every tenth charge just happens to be a "row" on my loading blocks, so that's easy to remember.

BUT . . . and I've been guilty of overlooking this part . . . It's wise to check the scale every tenth charge to ensure that it's set up correctly. Not necessary to "zero" the thing. Just make sure the poise (weights / notches) are in the right settings. That little, tinny, slot of steel on the 0.1 gr. rack has a bad habit of jumping around. The 5.0 gr. notch can get into a shadow on the bench and be set completely wrong.

I loaded 14.5 gr. once when I intended to load 9.5 gr. The 5.0 gr. poise was on the wrong notch. Yeah, case head failure . . . I got lucky.

I weigh EVERY CHARGE PERIOD!!
I also check the scale in the same step!
Good Luck

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
I weigh every charge. Check every round with a comparator for OAL. Check every round for excess runout(over.003 gets tossed in the practice bin). Check every case at every step of the process. Pretty fussy about QA around here.

ZM

<MNTNMAN>
posted
I check every fifth one for the first 20, then every ten. With every thing I load, a double charge would spill out the top.

<.>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
I weigh every charge. Check every round with a comparator for OAL. Check every round for excess runout(over.003 gets tossed in the practice bin). Check every case at every step of the process. Pretty fussy about QA around here.

ZM

Yeah . . . for a varmint/bench rifle !!! But for the ol' 38 Spl. wheelie I just crank the stuff out and eyeball the dimensions. The RCBS Uniflow powder measure tosses a spherical grain powder charge right on the nose every time. All you need to do is ensure that your "nose" is in the right place.

BTW, .3xx MOA off the bench w/ the Rem 700 PSS in .223 Ackley. But we're not "eyeballing" spec. on that ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of H4831 and R15, R19...all extruded, "cylinder" powders that don't seem to measure very well, because the individual grains are always being broken as the measure turns. I weigh every charge...but wonder if I have to? Variations seem to be within .2 or .3 grains, and nothing I load is that close to max. I've just been setting the measure to so that every load is a little light, and top the scale off with the trickler. Any thoughts?

jeff

Posts: 181 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick Jamison wrote an article quite a while back in which he conjectured that it was the percentage of the total charge that mattered. Assuming you're not motoring you rifle at the ragged edge, I kinda go along with that. Even with 4831 and such. Lets say you're loading 60grs of 4350 in a 7mag. And your powder measure is dumping a charge thats .5grs plus or minus. That's really not a whole lot when you look at the percentage of variance in the total charge. I admit I'm a little too anal to do that with my ammo for my "going away from home for a while" hunting trips but for around the house hunting or sage rat shooting or practice, I do it all the time.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:

ZM

Perhaps I should clarify, I only check my rifle ammo this close. With pistol ammo I check OAL every five or ten rounds and check for double charges.

ZM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I notice that very few benchresters ever weigh a charge of powder and they tell me thats the least important part of a handload.

I have been using the same old Redding scale for 40 years and I can really toss them close and I use powders that fill the case for the most part and powders that meter well mostly (if Possible) and I try not to weigh charges anymore on most of my hunting loads and my test show no difference in accuracy...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<MAKATAK>
posted
When I am working up a load I check my scale with weights just to be on the safe side and weigh each charge and note the Redding measure micrometer setting of each one I choose.

After the load is developed I just set the micrometer measure to what the charge was. I hold the hopper in my left hand and crank the handle with my right. I can do a block full of cases real fast and check the amounts at the same time.

I crack the handle at each end sharply to settle the powder in the hopper and to knock the granuals loose in the powder chamber.

Usually the accuracy holds up but every 500 rounds or so I will shoot a 10 shot group to see what's going on and adjust from there.

My powder measure and scale are at least 40 years old and have been hauled all around the world and still work fine. Amazing. I keep looking at the new stuff and think about buying a Culver style measure but they cost way to much. I can buy a years worth of powder and primers for just one toy.

<Powderman>
posted
I am kinda anal retentive about case prep. But, once I decided to try an experiment.

I loaded forty rounds of ammo in .308 Winchester.

The first twenty were the cat's pajamas. Used Sierra 175 grain MatchKings, and hand-thrown charges of IMR 4985. Seated Federal Match Primers, and checked seating depth. Case necks were turned, and inside reamed after trimming. Each case was weighed, as was each bullet. All cases were Federal Gold Medal new cases.

The next twenty were with different cases (Remington, Winchester, Federal, Mil-Surp.)

Case length? Oh, who knows?

Used IMR 4985, set a Hornady powder measure for 42.0 grains, and left it at that. Each case was visually checked, and any that were markedly different were re-charged.

After the first weighing to set the measure, didn't touch the scale.

Loaded these with mil-surp 150 grain FMJBT, still had the tar on, seated to the cannelure. Crimped the crud out of each one with a Lee Factory Crimp die.

Rifle of choice: M1A Nat'l Match, with Kahles 3-12x56 mounted.

Results? Oh, the Match Kings grouped at about 1 1/2 inches.

The mil-surp rounds?

I put 5 rounds into a group at 100 yards you could cover with a dime--and still have room left over.

So, I believe that accuracy is not a result of charge weight. Rather, it is if your rifle likes the load or not. Safe shooting.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.