Find
Notify
Tools

RWS Brass?....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I've never used RWS brass as it hasn't been readily available from many of the sources I use for supplies.

Just curious how it compares in quality to Lapua?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only caliber where I have loaded RWS and Lapua "side by side" - i.e. for the same gun, same bullets etc - has been the .222 Rem. In that particular caliber, I would have to claim parity between the two brands. I base this on the percentage of cases I put into the "fowler" category - based on criteria such as neck wall thickness variation etc.

In general, I prefer Lapua if it is available - if for no other reason but price.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 I've not used better brass than RWS or Lapua nor I have used their equal. To me they are the best..........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 2 Lapua RWS are top shelf . I use both along with others but really prefer those two above all others I've tried .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've only used it in two calibers, 404j & 9.3x74R. It's top notch brass, worth the money if you can find it in a caliber you shoot.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had really good luck (or use) with RWS, Lapua & Norma.

I am fortunate enough to have a "source" for once-fired RWS brass and find it ranks right up there with the best - in many cartridges, .22 Hornet, .222, 243, 7x57R, .308, .30/06, 8x57, 9.3x62 to name a few. Fine quality & consistant, too.

Like Mike, my only direct comparison between the two is with the .222 Remington cartridge and I agree 100% with his "Parity" claim. I'm not too picky about weighing, sorting, etc. get a batch of 100 together and keep 'em that way until they die; the cause of death almost always being at @ 15% split necks - then the whole batch dies, too. Is usually in the 12-13 reload range. Can't tell any difference with my super accurate .222 Rem. load. I can mix the Lapua & RWS loads with the same bullet, powder & primer and plunck 'em in the same hole.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
Gerry

I use 6,5x68 RWS and it is tough stuff. As to how it compares to Lapua I don't know because Lapua doesn't make 6,5x68 Brass.

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use RWS brass in .22 Hornet, 5.6x57mm, 6.5x57mm, 9.3x62mm, and .404 Jeffery. Most of this is because RWS has been the only choice available. One point is that the RWS product does appear to wear like iron, something I have also heard from Lapua users. I know it seems to be top drawer in the .22 Hornet and the 9.3x62mm.

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of additional comments: it is not uncommon to find European brass in general and RWS in particular with rims a tad on the beefy side. I have experienced this with several calibers - examples include 7x64 and .30-06. Normally, you can work around this issue with another shellholder - for the calibers mentioned above, I have been able to use a shellholder intended for a 6.5x55.

Secondly, if you intend to load 8x68S (OK, I know that is a bit of an oddball caliber in the US), you may come to share my opinion, that 8x68S RWS brass is the toughest, meanest, son-of-gun brass ever produced! Man, you have to go at that brass with a vengeance to make any impact whatsoever! I'll bet it lasts a while...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike & Bill,

Yeah, RWS "Beefy" rims are my experience also but it apears as thought the RWS .222 Remingtons are custom fitted to one particular Lee shellholder I have - perfect. Perhaps that is a contributing factor to the outstanding accuracy?

I only have a coupla buddies who shoot the "exotics" where RWS is the only source, like 5.6x57, 6.5x68, 8x68S and they all swear by the strength & longevity of the RWS brass.

Like sierra2, I've never found anything that even remotely approaches RWS's quality in .22 Hornet and I've tried 'em all. RWS brass is simply suberb in this cartidge and trust me when I relate the Germans know a thing or two about accurate .22 Hornets.

Like others of us who suffer from "The NEED"; I'd buy 100 .404 Jeffery RWS cases straight away - if i could rationalize a reasonably priced Left-Handed .404 Jeffery Safari Rifle. Normally, I begin this disfunctional obsession with an obscure set of Dies; obtained On-Sale, covered in dust & cobwebs from the dark reaches of some Dealer's shelf - in this instance I'd gleefully begin an affliction with RWS brass.

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only used the RWS 7x57 brass and Laupa doesn't make that and the RWS is good brass. You can get RWS here
http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_rws.html

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a good thread.
I just bought some RWS brass in 223 and 7x57, but haven't loaded it yet. Snow, cold and low motivation as a result.. The range is snowed in, so no shooting till spring.
I bought mine at Natchez.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO RWS is the best brass by a long shot available today..I also like Lapua, WW,Rem,Hornady,Federal,Hornaber,and Norma...

Brass today is pretty good in most brands..I stay clear of Bertram...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42127 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some published thoughts by Bart Bobbit on the subject-- the RWS part is at the bottom.

http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/match_brass.html

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amamnn:
Here are some published thoughts by Bart Bobbit on the subject-- the RWS part is at the bottom.

Maybe alot's happened but I just weighted my RWS 7x57 case against Rem 7x57 and the RWS weighted 12.6 grs less than the Rem and held 2.2 grs more of powder.

VFW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom holland:
quote:
Originally posted by amamnn:

Maybe alot's happened but I just weighted my RWS 7x57 case against Rem 7x57 and the RWS weighted 12.6 grs less than the Rem and held 2.2 grs more of powder.

That's good to know.
I went to work on some of my 7x57 RWS brass last evening. I measured case length first, and found that it measured 2.240, as opposed to the 2.235 max length specified in the loading manuals. So, I'll have to trim it back.
Then, I tried using a number 2 shell holder to neck size a case just to see if the cases would fit in the shell holder. The cases would not work in the number 2, so I had to use the next larger shell holder. The brass is very hard, harder than Winchester brass, which ain't all bad. The brass looks like high class stuff, and not one dented neck... thumb

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I measure mine and was 2.225" and it all that the same run # and my neck thickness was within .001". I blew some of those cases out for a 7x57AI and they formed real nice and I got a Chanlynn barrel 7x57 that I may try some RWS in. Well good luck.

VFW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom holland:
Don, I measure mine and was 2.225" and it all that the same run # and my neck thickness was within .001". I blew some of those cases out for a 7x57AI and they formed real nice and I got a Chanlynn barrel 7x57 that I may try some RWS in. Well good luck.

Tom,

I measured neck wall thickness of the RWS brass and found it thicker than other brass I have, both Rem and Norma. However, it is uniform around the circle. The RWS measured .018-.019 while the others measured .0135 nominally.

Don

One of Us
Picture of charcoal burner
posted Hide Post
I have used RWS brass in numerous calibers from 22 Hornet to 9.3x64 Brenneke and find it better than any others. I just wish there were places to find more. Look at Mid South, Natchez and Huntington's for RWS brass they all carry it, albeit not everything they produce.

Posts: 150 | Location: Wyomin' | Registered: 29 July 2005Reply With Quote