New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case reforming
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some 06 cases left over and want to resize to 35 Whelen improved. Do I need to anneal before fire forming?
If so, how far down on the case?
OR ???

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do I need to anneal before fire forming?
If so, how far down on the case?

I would anneal the neck.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul. That was my thought but have never done this before so I am looking for best way to keep from messing up the cases.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a candle and hold the case head in your
fingers. When the head feels hot dip the case neck in cold water. If you own a propane torch
be careful because things go quickly.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingTry a dozen without annealing and see what happens. old The road of learning often fallows the path of doing. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning towards Bartche's method. What happens when you anneal dead soft is you lose your neck tension, which is important, and you have to work the brass hard again by shooting and resizing. What I do is I just "draw" the case, or in your instance the neck. That's where I just warm case or neck a little, not where it's hot enough to anneal or you have to quench in water. By the way you don't have to quench in water to anneal, you can just let them air cool. Like I said though you don't want the necks dead soft.

Don't lube the necks except the inside.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate that I've been wasting my time out shooting when I could have been in the shop dicking around. But I've resized brass up and down and I've never annealed a single case. Perhaps if I were using or making some exotic round it might be plausible but I put annealing right up there with primer pocket uniforming and case weighing.
I opened up a bunch of 1X .243 cases to 7-08 and after 4 or 5 shootings, I got a few neck splits but I shot the rest of it until 7-08 brass became commonly available.
I agree with bartshe.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have formed a lot of 30-06 brass up to 8X57 and pushed the shoulder back to make 7.65 Mauser.

The 8X57 is an autoloader that tosses brass all over. Having inexpensive brass was important because some of it will be lost.
The 7.65 was only available from Norma so any brass was a cost saving.
No annealing was required to form the brass.
I annealed all of it to 1/4 below the shoulder after all forming. My process produces good brass and no drama. A good task for a cold rainy day using SL-54 brass that I payed a penny apiece for.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote