Find
Notify
Tools

safe loaded neck diameter???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I am new to precision reloading, I have been reloading for my factory guns for a few years, and now have a couple customs with smaller than factory necks in the chambers, one of my guns has a .297 neck how undersized from that diameter should a loaded case be to insure safe bullet release when its fired??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey c c

It depends upon what caliber the .297" neck is on.

.277 and you have a serious problem, .264" and you are fine and may not have to turn.

.003" is the usual recommended clearance around the neck. So the math would be .297"-.003"= .294"-.264" (I assume you have a 6.5)=.030"/2 (each side of neck)= .015" neck thickness on brass. That is still pretty thick and it will depend upon what type of brass and how thick that batch is as to whether you even have to turn. Normal accepted limits for turning are no thinner than .010".

I have a .292" neck and I have to turn that brass down to .0125" each side.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so would .003 be the minimum??? yeah the gun is a 6.5 loaded necked are about .293-.294 range

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Serious BR shooters often aim for maybe 2 thousanths of clearance.

"Safe" can mean different things. I believe any standard caliber sporter rifle needs at least a minimum SAAMI spec. neck so it won't KABOOM if someone chambers a factory round later. No tiny bit of increased accuracy potential is worth anyones life or vision. IMHO.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so is it safe to have .002 clearance as long as I keep a close eye on it?

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
.003" is a good place, especially for a hunting gun. It is also good for me since I can inside ream with a Forster reamer which is .0025" to .003" larger than caliber. After fire forming the .003" outside neck clearance transfers to the inside neck diameter and then I can ream.

I recently assisted a friend who wanted a 6.5 rem mag like mine but wanted to be able to shoot factory ammo. I bought a box of factory shells and measured each one and we decided on a .297" neck. Only trouble is that the neck came out to .301". Don't be surprised if your chamber neck is not exactly on what you wanted. Just measure the outside after fire forming.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some bench rest shooters use .0005 clearance.
But you have to understand they use short/light bullets for the diameter. A long heavy bullet could rivet the base and you will have the possibility of a problem if the neck is too tight.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.002" clearance around the loaded neck is about as small as you should go. As Wood mentioned, for a hunting gun .003-.004" probably makes more sense for reliability.

It is true that some (BR shooters) use smaller neck clearances - all the way down to what they call "fitted necks": the case is not resized, as the neck can not expand and will thus still hold bullet after firing. This is a pretty specialized method though, and I doubt it makes sense to apply to general purpose shooting. (Most BR shooters size their cases these days, fitted necks are not that commonly used).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote