New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to answer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SmilerA new reloader asked me a question that really I didn't have a real solid answer for. In most all reloading books the max load for the .260 using IMR-4064 is 39.5. Checking with Dupont they also echoed the 39.5 as a max load in the .260 obtaining 57000 pressure. But reading independant reloading data the max goes up to 43.5 to 44.0. I told him that the powder companies usually use a lower safe max load but that with fire arms excellent condition the powder companies max can be gone above with out any problem. Then I explained pressure signs to watch for etc. What is a real good answer to this?

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Actually all you had to say was:

"Each company uses different testing equipment and techniques. In addition, they also use different components. Therefore, they will have different results.

Start with a middle-of-the-road load and work-up in 0.3 grain increments until you get either the performance you want or the first signs of over-pressure start to show, whichever comes first."

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerWhy is it that you know the answer but can't say it like it should be. I knew what to say but didn't say it right. But Steve thanks for clearifying it for me! Now I can tell him!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve is, quite simply... The Man!

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote