New
Find
Notify
Tools

New cases too short?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a batch of new Winchester brass in .25-06, and the max case length (published) is 2.494". Of course, the case lengths are all over the map, from 2.491 on the high side to 2.481 on the low side. 2.481 is 0.013 below max, and I'm wondering if this is too short?

I trimmed the batch to max-0.010 for uniformity, but I obviously couldn't trim those that were below that length in the first place. At what point is a new case too short?

Posts: 25 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The short ones will work, but I would sort the cases to keep them separated from the ones you trimmed for uniformity.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For making consistant and repeatable ammo the cases need to be trimmed to a single uniform length. It is not unsafe to have brass trimmed shorter than the listed "trim to" length. IMO, you should trim all the brass, that are to be shot in one gun, to the same length of the shortest case you are going to use.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO, you should trim all the brass, that are to be shot in one gun, to the same length of the shortest case you are going to use.

thumb I get a batch of cases and trim to the shortest or sometimes even shorter.Being a little shorter than trim length will no hurt a thing. Then load and shoot. Let them grow together. On a hunting rifle I sure do not trim after each firing unless I'm crimping.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 on what Lucky Ducker said. The max length means something. The trim-to number is just kinda sorta a number. If you've got enough neck to hold the bullet, you're good to go so to speak.

one of us
posted Hide Post
New bulk rifle brass of the R-P or Winchester variety usually comes with pretty banged up necks and mouths. The proper procedure is to FL resize them all, trim all to the shortest, then chamfer the mouth for easy bullet seating.

Don't ever think that measuring bulk brass the way it comes from the bag is going to give an accurate reading.

How short is too short? When there is insufficient neck tension to hold the bullet in place. The handloading police won't issue you a ticket for trimming those 25-06 cases shorter than 2.484"...it's just a guideline.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
New bulk rifle brass of the R-P or Winchester variety usually comes with pretty banged up necks and mouths. The proper procedure is to FL resize them all, trim all to the shortest, then chamfer the mouth for easy bullet seating.

Don't ever think that measuring bulk brass the way it comes from the bag is going to give an accurate reading.

How short is too short? When there is insufficient neck tension to hold the bullet in place. The handloading police won't issue you a ticket for trimming those 25-06 cases shorter than 2.484"...it's just a guideline.

How will I know if I've got insufficient neck tension...the bullet falls out? I guess there is not a minimum linear dimension for sufficient contact with the bullet.

Posts: 25 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can hold the cartridge and push the bullet nose against something solid and the bullet pushes into the case, then you've got insufficient neck tension for a hunting round.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated above, most handloaders seeking accuracy will resize and trim new brass and clean up the primer hole. This creates a uniform case for further work.

Trim length with Forester type trimmers can vary and be shorter than "standard." This generally makes no difference as long as there is about a caliber's worth of neck to hold the case (i.e., the bullet is a 30 caliber, there should be about .30" of neck; however, some factory cases do not follow this rule like the .300Win Mag.)

Trim length with Lee trimmers is fixed and generally will trim cases to or very close to minimum length which generally runs about 10 thousands below the max.

From what you posted, you done good and should have no problems. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote