Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 300 win mag loads for a browning bar
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Well, Alliant suggest 76.9 grains of R22 for 3030 fps MV out of the 300 Winnie but that is there Max suggested load.

I've always loaded autos a little less than Max to be on the safe side and to prolong the life of your firearm as well.

You might want to start at around 75 grains and see what kind of results you are gettin'.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, Pressure signs in your auto are pretty much the same as any other weapon. Check for loose primer pockets and flattened primers too. Also on some autos the rim on the head will get bent pretty good during ejection if pressures are too high.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hello all.i'm looking to reload for my brand new bar lightweight stalker.the components i'm using are- new win. brass,wlr mag primers,180gr nosler protected point partition bullets loaded to 3.340 oal..I like imr-4350 powder,but have heard good things about reloader-22,so i bought a can to try out. i would like to reach around 3000fps.does this seem resonable without excess pressure? I'm concerned about being able to read pressure signs in a semi-auto.any advise or suggeted loads would be appreciated.p.s. i do have a chrono

Posts: 3 | Location: pacific nw | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Jbrbro
posted Hide Post
you'll want to stay under max by a grain or two to keep from stressing your action too much. Of course I hear from most people that generally you'll get better accuracy in a factory rifle if you run a bit below max pressures anyway. but stick with the 4350's. You might try the Hogdon product it has a reputation for being pretty insensitive to temperatures and is a slight bit slower but still a quick powder with 180gr bullets in the .300. whether you can get 3,00fps or not depends more on you barrel then anything. nosler lists 3,130 in a 24" test bbl w/ their MAXIMUM LOAD of 70gr imr4350 and 3,060 with 68 grs of same. good luck and be sure you work up carefully and inspect your loads at each load level you try and back off if you get any bad signs.

Posts: 3 | Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
well, this is a hell of a late update, but i was able to get 3,000 fps no prob. using 76 grn of reloader 22 with no signs of pressure at all. have dumped 2 elk at approx 100+ yrd's each,& a blacktail buck. the gun has performed flawlessly thru some very hard weather. you do your part, & it will do it's.

Posts: 3 | Location: pacific nw | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote