Find
Notify
Tools

Case tumbling - loaded rounds
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DRB
posted
I have a lot of loaded rounds which are tarnished.

Is it possible to clean these loaded rounds in a tumbler, or should this be avoided at all costs?

------------------
Regards
Dave

[This message has been edited by DRB (edited 09-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DRB (edited 09-30-2001).]

Posts: 179 | Location: Durbanville, RSA | Registered: 15 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
From what I have read it is not a good idea, however I know a couple of people who do this.

I personally do not

<Patrick_D>
posted
Dave,

I would not do that.

If the acion of the tumbler caused the powder to break up into finer pieces, it will become potentially much "hotter".

Result; nice shiny death-traps.

There was a case some time ago in this country where a dealer did just that with some ex-military 8mm, and a few guns broke when people used it.

Patrick

<George Capriola>
posted
DRB,
Patrick's right, the tumbling action wears the coating off the powder particles. This results in a highly explosive charge, which is quite likely to blow your firearm apart!
Try a little steel wool & elbow grease!
George.

<Don G>
posted
Don't tumble or use chemicals.

If you must get it off, use scotch-brite pads. They make a grey (vs green or red) that is "ultra-fine".

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always use Brasso to clean all of my brass- both empty and loaded. It works extremely well with very little effort.

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Avoid any ammonia based polishes as they will weaken your brass. Scotchbrite or fine steel wool works great.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'd avoid the tumbler. I recently shot some hot loads out of my favorite hunting rifle, that were not hot when I loaded them. I guess carrying the same four cartridges around for 6 or 7 hunts was enough to break the powder down and change its burning characteristics.

As an option I'd try 0000 steel wool. I had a bunch left over from a stock finishing job, and tried it on some cases that needed cleaning. Worked like a charm.

Also, I have used brasso and flitz in the past. Both worked great, with no noticed after-effects on the brass.

FWIW, Canuck.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee makes a case spinner that you chuck in a drill. Use fine steel wool on the spinning case and they will clean up quickly.

But unless the ammunition is really dirty (to the point that it won't chamber reliably), why mess with it?

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamhound>
posted
I've heard that tumbling loaded cartridges in a rotary [rock polishing type] tumbler is OK if you don't overdo it. Tumbling loaded brass in a vibratory case cleaner is a definite no-no.

<Mats>
posted
If you need to clean up ammo, Scotchbrite or steel wool is the way. I've tried tumbling loaded ammo and got reduced velocity and fouling, indicating to me that the burning rate of the powder was altered.

That's a no-no in my book.

-- Mats