THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Question About Sierra 220 Game King 8mm (.323) Expansion

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About Sierra 220 Game King 8mm (.323) Expansion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey all, another question for you...
Anybody know the minimum velocity that Sierra's 220 grain 8mm (.323) game Kings will expand at? Wanting to launch them at @ 2400 fps, trying to figure out maximum range for reliable expansion...Anybody know??
Thanks!
Jeremy

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sierra manual says that bullet is "too heavily constructed" for use in the 8x57. So that velocity is a bit slow.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, That bullet is made for the 8mm Remington Magnum.

Posts: 43 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have launched them at 2625 fps with a 29" 8x57mm barrel.

That is about all that can be had from a 24" 8mm Rem Mag at 190 yards out.

The Sierra manual shows that bullet being launched at 2100 to 2300 fps by a 8mm Mauser.

What does it all mean?
Don't use Sierra's wimpy SAAMI based loads for the 8x57.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, so if 2400 fps is too slow for it to expand, then it's only good out of the 8mm Rem mag to about 200 or 250 yards? Hodgdon shows a muzzle velocity of just over 2800 fps with a 220 grain bullet, and even with Sierra's high ballistic coefficient (.534 IIRC) it's dropped below 2400 fps by 250 yards, and by 400 yards it's below 2100 fps...

I knew Sierra claimed that it was for the 8mm Rem Mag, that's why I asked the question about the actual velocity it would expand at. (An 8x57 at the muzzle is equal in velocity, etc. to an 8mm Rem Mag at 200-250 yds) I also own an 8x68S and may use it in that, but would like to know the maximum effective range that I can expect it to reliably expand on that as well, and for that I still need it's minimum velocity...Not waht Sierra claims, but what it actually expands at. Sierra's much too proud of their own bullet construction in most cases!

Not trying to be a jerk about it, just trying to clarify the issue that I am asking about...Thanks for your answers so far!
Jeremy

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks tnekkcc, looks like you answered the question during my lengthy thome there...seems like we are on the same page about this issue. Smiler
Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be more a question of at what effective range will it expand. In re-reading my first post, it seems to say that the bullet won't expand at 2400 fps. What I was really trying to articulate is that muzzle velocity could be too slow for the bullet to expand at practical hunting ranges.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, when in doubt read the directions. I called Sierra and spoke with one of their technicians. He said that the bullet would expand down to 2000 fps (with minimal expansion as slow as 1600 fps) but that it was so heavily constructed that it would expand very slowly such that on a deer size animal it would pass through before meaningful expansion would occur. Thus, why they don't recommend it for the 8mm Mauser.

LWD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LWD,
Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated!
I've heard good things about Sierra's tech line, but the day I called the guy was rude to me on the phone...wouldn't give me the recommended velocities, just said it was too heavy for the 8x57. Thougth it was funny that they allow S&B (IIRC) to load it in a factory load for the 8x57. Didn't make much sense, that's why I was asking.
Again, many thanks!!
Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like Sierra thinks that the 8x57 is as wimpy as the 8x57 loads in the Sierra load book.

It sounds like they worry someone might go deer hunting with a 220 gr 8x57 using their wimp loads.

Have they thought about the 220 gr from an 8x57 at 2625 fps on Elk or bear?

Who do they think is buying their 220 gr bullets?
8mm mag owners?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc-
I wondered myself just how "hard" it could be. Seemed odd that they would have it constructed that much harder than the rest of their bullets.

I got my 8x57 to 2400 and change with them today, think I'll keep easing up the powder charge. No pressure signs yet, easy extraction, primers still round on edges, no extractor marks, etc. I might be able to get 2450+ out of this 23.5" barrel yet. Should be great to 250 yds or so...

I really want to use this bullet, my yugo LOVES it. My best groups so far are with this bullet at around 2400...
Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone died and someone got divorced and I bought a quantity of 200 gr Match Kings and 220 gr. for a few pennies on the dollar.

You fire 10 or 20 rounds of 220 gr at 2625 fps at the range, and that is enough. They don't get used up like varmint bullets.

I have been shooting those bullets and two friends have been shooting those bullets for 7 years.

I haven't shot any animals with them yet.

I went hunting 2 weeks ago with .270 140 gr Accubonds for whitetail does. I shot at one, but couldn't find the body. There I met a woman who just shot a big bull elk with a .243. She said it only went 10 feet. The woman was so small. The elk was so big, .243s are so small, I don't know what to think about bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard good things about Sierra's tech line, but the day I called the guy was rude to me on the phone

I wouldn't call this guy rude, but he sure wanted to give you the impression that it was he and not you who had the information.

quote:
It sounds like they worry someone might go deer hunting with a 220 gr 8x57 using their wimp loads.

clap The 8mm does have a certain "pre-expanded" quantity to it. Not too many of our rather smallish North Central Texas whitetails would get terribly far with a .323" hole from one one lung to the other.

LWD