Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 ackley imp
 Login/Join

<rdavis2118>
posted
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for any loading information that someone might have for 75 and 87 gr. bullets.

I've got two good loads now from tedious trial and error, and a few stretched primer pockets. One consists of ww brass, cci 250m primer, 68 grains of h4831sc and a 75 gr vmax for 3800 fps. groups just about .34.
The other is ww case, cci250m primer, 62 gr h4831sc and an 87 gr sierra spitzer for 3550 fps groups about .25 inch.

also looking for some tips on fireforming brass for this tempermental beast.

any help or information would be greatley appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you have worked up loads for your gun already, you're probably the expert with this particular .25/06 Imp. Each gun is an individual, and experience with one doesn't always predict results with another.

I do recommend that you use either .270 or .30/06 brass to start with. Place it in your full length sizer backed off from the shellholder a turn or two. Size down progressively until the resized (and trimmed, if necessary) case chambers with just a bit of bolt resistance. These will now be perfectly headspaced for your chamber and should be fired with full power .25-06 loads for proper fireforming.

If you prefer to start with .25-06 brass, first run a 6.5 or .270 expander ball into the necks, then resize as above. This will also give you perfect and snug headspace.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Stonecreek (edited 05-24-2002).]

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I find the cartridge anything,but tempermental.

My preference is bulk 100gr R/P Core-Lokts(moly)and 57.5grs of Re-22,for case forming. I like R/P 280 brass,sized with a slight false shoulder as mentioned prior and trimmed to length. Projectiles engage the rifling,accuracy is excellent and formed brass is perfect.

My rifle was built as a lightish weight Mountain Rifle(based upon a 700KS)and 100gr XLC's are what I like best for killing critters. They'll do just a smidge under 3600fps.

My 23" barreled 25-284 will push 75's at 3750fps,I'd expect the 25-06AI to crowd 3950fps with an optimal propellant. My 257Wby's will easily break 4100fps,with the 75gr X(moly)................