New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your opinion???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Adding another twist for those who might not want to recommend a 270, 280, or 30-06 for game ranging from antelope to black bear:

What would you recommend instead and why?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
.300 win or WSM.
Sheer abundance of projectiles available for the .30 cal.... or a good 6.5mm

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
Adding another twist for those who might not want to recommend a 270, 280, or 30-06 for game ranging from antelope to black bear:

What would you recommend instead and why?

The 270 works fine for me, how dead do you want to kill them?

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'd also be very comfortable with the .270 Win. on these animals.

However, since you want an alternative to those great standard cartridges, I'll recommend the .300 Win. Mag. I've used it on the animals you mentioned, plus a whole lot more. If you use well-constructed 180 gr. bullets (i.e., Nosler Partition) you'll be in good shape for just about anything you'll ever hunt, anywhere in the world.

AD

<PTShooter03>
posted
Jack O'Connor used the .270 Win pretty effectively as I recall. My personal fav is the .280Rem, but it doesn't come into its' own until one handloads for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska

I have hunted quite extensively with my Musgrave K98 Deluxe built on a Mauser Action. This pretty rile is in 7 x 57 Mauser. The reason I would recommend this rifle , I can shoot close range with the Nosler Partition's in 175gr & get very good velocity with 140 gr AHS (they say it is a Sierra BT in a different package) This specific load clocks just a tad under 2900 fps & works very well on our smaller open plains game like springbuck etc.

Regards
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd base the decision on bullet selection/availability. This narrows it down to .284 or .308. I would setup for 'heavy for caliber' bullets, thus suggesting a 1/9 twist for the .284 and a 1/10 for the .308.

Now for the caliber. If it were me...I'd probably choose 300 WSM or 280 AI.

[This message has been edited by mbundy (edited 05-16-2002).]

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
<centerpunch>
posted

[ 06-15-2002, 03:34: Message edited by: centerpunch ]

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say either the .284 Win. or 7x57mm Mauser. I obviously prefer un-belted, but the .300 Win. Mag. would definitely get my vote from among the "magnums" if that's what one had a hankerin' for.

I will say this, though...I kind of consider the .284 Win. to be an un-belted magnum, to begin with.

RSY

[This message has been edited by RSY (edited 05-16-2002).]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be the 6.5x55 or the 7x57 or their modern equivalents, the 260 and the 7mm-08. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3781 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to choose my .264 Win Mag.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7-08. very unassuming round that just gets the job done.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
get a 300 Winchester best of them all

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<MAKATAK>
posted
I started out with 7mm's back in the day and just stayed with them. No reason, no argument, no problem. Used 175's in the Mags, 154's in the standards and 139-140 in the smaller capacity cases. I always used enough gun for what I was hunting for, stay withing reasonable ranges, put the bullet where it needed to be and just hammered anything I pointed at. I have now or have had just about every 7mm available excluding the Weatherby's, never did like their stocks.
I bypass the 30's and jump to 338 for anything that was decidedly cantankerous.

If I had it to do over again I would add a 300 Win Mag to my collection, just for the bigger bullets. You can always drop the Win down to say an '06, 308 or even a 300 Sav but you can only jack an '06 up so far.

I have a 460ci in one of my rigs that puts out big gobs of power when I stomp on the go peddle. I don't do that too often, but it's there when I want to. Same with the Winnie. Jack it till your nuts suck up or
lean it out till it purrs.

I sold off most of my 7's except for a 7mm Rem mag and a 284 XP100. Those two and a few others I have will take care of anything on this continent and Africa doesn't hold any desires for me so I don't need anything bigger.

<Don Martin29>
posted
I have to ask Nebraska what he has in his battery now? Since the 30/06 is the logical place to start what game and distances do you contemplate that a standard cartridge would not be optimum for?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think for the game indicated, you don't need anything other than the 06 family of carts. If you wanted something new, then the short mags in 7mm or .300 would be my choice.
I like the Rems. because the case is a bit shorter allowing you to seat bullets out a bit more, but that's being picky.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Don.

I sold my Mark V 300 Wby this Spring and now have a Marlin in 270, Ruger in M-77 280, and Rem 700 in 30-06 to try out. The purpose of my post is to get opinions on what you guys like. I really like hearing what criteria is involved in everyone's choice for a certain application. It's all pertinent to me whether it's "My dad had one" or "the 6.5 has a superior BC and SD". I know I could shoot everything from starlings to elephants with a 30-06 but that would be rather boring wouldn't it?

So...What do you shoot and why?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote