Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8 Rem. SPC Primer questions
 Login/Join

posted
I have been reloading for many years and recently started reloading the 6.8 SPC for a relative. It seems that it is not just another bottle neck rifle cartridge, but is a bit troublesome with its primers - at least with me.
Most of the "once fired" brass I have accumulated from gun shows is the SSA headstamp and had a crimp on the primer - not sure why - maybe it is considered military. Have had a few times that the primer has separated from the case upon firing and ended up in the trigger assembly in several pieces. I have used both the standard CCI small rifle and the CCI military primers with similar results. BTW I use the RCBS swage to remove the crimp during case prep.
My question is, should I attempt to crimp the primers and if so where do I find a tool to do the job?
The rifle is a 18" AR15 Molan Labe.
Would appreciate any info on this situation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are blowing primers out of the case on firing, your loads are WAY too hot. I have been loading since 1980 and I know of no other explanation for what you are seeing. The RCBS primer pocket swaging tool won't open a pocket up so it is too large to hold a primer unless somebody dorked with it.

Back your loads down and see if your problem goes away. There is no reason to crimp handloaded ammunition that I am aware of.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larit,

What is your expected velocity and what is your actual velocity? That may answer you questions.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am loading 26.6 g AA2200 behind Hornady 120 g SST bullets. Expecting 2500 fps and getting 2500 fps. Nothing unusual except the primer comes out once in a while.
Any of you load for the 6.8 SPC? I think maybe it is sort of a different animal.
Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
larit,

I wonder if the "once fired brass" may be your problem. I would suggest buying some factory ammo. Shoot that, then reload that brass fired in that rifle. I can see no reason to crimp the primers.

Good Luck.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, you can't crimp primers and crimps are not for compensating for high pressure. they are for keeping primers which might fall out, from jamming automatic weapons. Your loads are too hot for your rifle. I load for 6.5 SPC; nothing unique about it. Back off on your loads. It is not a military round (designers wanted it to be), but some ammo makers crimp the primers anyway. No reason to.
Do the primers seat firmly? If the pockets are expanded from the factory firing, nothing you can do but scrap the brass. If they are tight, then your loads are too hot for your rifle.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Which chamber does you rifle have? I ask because there is actually 4 different chambers for 6.8 SPC.
1. Remington original SAAMI drawing
2. SPC II (main chamber currently used by most manufactures)
3. 6.8 ARP (AR Performance)
4. Noveske Mod I

The first chamber has about 1/2 the freeborn of the other 3 and you cannot use High pressure loads in it. Only the original lower pressure loads.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote