New
Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 3 1/4" N. E. practice loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need help with data for developing a practice load for this caliber. Any assistance will be appreciated. FYI, my rifle slugs at .408 for each barrel.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If it's a double rifle, the classic answer is to load a 300-grain bullet on top of the same powder weight used for the 400-grainer. This it seems often regulates well enough.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to practice on your recoil. Your way is like shooting a 06 or 270, to learn to shoot a big bore.

To adjust to recoil shoot a heavier load or practice with a bigger caliber such as a 470 then the 450-400 will seem plumb mild intime! that works

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Sounds like you need to practice on your recoil. Your way is like shooting a 06 or 270, to learn to shoot a big bore.

To adjust to recoil shoot a heavier load or practice with a bigger caliber such as a 470 then the 450-400 will seem plumb mild intime! that works

Mr. Atkinson, I know you are much more experienced than me and I appreciate your suggestions!

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't see where the OP mentioned where recoil was a problem using his 450/400? He may just want a cheaper load that can be used for practice instead of using up expensive components. More difficult to find a load that will regulate in a double which the OP has but for pure practice in aiming, shooting, reloading and general handling of the gun the OP probably doesn't need perfect regulation.
Cast bullets are quite versatile in that they can be loaded over a range of velocities from light loads on up to full factory spec loads. Nothing wrong with cast as cheap general hunting bullets either and with lighter loads provide long case life and easy on barrels.
Of course if recoil is an issue, cast bullet shooting solves this easy.

Ray, not everyone has 'bigger' calibres in their gun rack to practice with.

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

I don't see where the OP mentioned where recoil was a problem using his 450/400? He may just want a cheaper load that can be used for practice instead of using up expensive components. More difficult to find a load that will regulate in a double which the OP has but for pure practice in aiming, shooting, reloading and general handling of the gun the OP probably doesn't need perfect regulation.
Cast bullets are quite versatile in that they can be loaded over a range of velocities from light loads on up to full factory spec loads. Nothing wrong with cast as cheap general hunting bullets either and with lighter loads provide long case life and easy on barrels.

Ray, not everyone has 'bigger' calibres in their gun rack to practice with.

Yes- part of my motivation asking for help was that I want to conserve my Woodleigh .408 bullets (hard to find these days) and also have another option for this rifle to use for feral hogs here in Texas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted as an option, nothing more, thought it might be the problem as it usually is with big bores,no intention of creating a problem. If so I apologize.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.408 bullets are scarce. Do you have a .408 bullet sizing die? Hornady InterLock 405 Caliber (411 Diameter) 300 Grain Soft Point bullets would be a candidate for resizing for practice.

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
.408 bullets are scarce. Do you have a .408 bullet sizing die? Hornady InterLock 405 Caliber (411 Diameter) 300 Grain Soft Point bullets would be a candidate for resizing for practice.

That's a good idea, thank you. I've scrounged up some .408 Woodleighs and they shoot well in my rifle. Hopefully, Woodleigh will be up to full production levels soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you contacted Hawk bullets? They might have .408 bullets in stock.

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:

Also solves the cost issue and if the loads can be tailored to regulate, makes your rifle good to go for lighter game such as deer etc.

PM sent.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use .410 pistol bullets in my 450-400 3 1/4 with a .408 barrel. The pistol bullet jackets are so thin they size down without adding any real pressure. You are using light practice loads anyway. I'll look up my load for you. My gun with shoot 400 gr, 300 gr sized to .408 and 200 gr pistol bullets into the same group at 50 yards.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote