Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum vs Standard Primers
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for a 357 MAG load for Cowboy Shooting that uses a 158 grain Lead bullet, Magnum Small Pistol Primers (I am out of standard primers) and Hodgdon HS6 Powder. I found a good recipe on the Hodgdon website but it does not state weather to use MAG or Standard small pistol primers. Normally I would assume MAG primers, but many of the loads I have found for 357 tell you to use standard small pistol primers rather than Magnum. I sent an email to Hodgdon too, but thought I'd try this forum as well. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
With magnum primers, I'd drop the max loads by 0.5 grain in handgun cartridges.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The only powders that you must use a mag primer w/ in the 357mag is H110/W296 & AA#9. Every other powder will load w/ std. sp. If your load is a mild one, swapping in a mag primer will ahve little affect. If you are pushing max, dropping back 3%-5% & working back up is recommended.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
El Deguello and fredj, thanks for the advice. The load I was looking at recommended 6.0 gr, so based on your comments I think I'll drop to 5.5 and shoot a few test rounds. Are you finding standard small pistol primers anywhere? I got some at the Chantilly gun show a couple of weeks ago, but the vendor was limiting sales to 1000 per person. Thanks again.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Primers are thin everywhere. Watch Widenr's, they get Wolf in pretty regular. I ordered 5K from Graf's the end of March, got them the middle of June. That is how I would go about getting primers, put an order in for at least 5K w/ Graf's & wait.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give Graf's a try.