New
Find
Notify
Tools

List of bullet lenghths
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As my 22-250 stubbornly refuses to tackdrive and powder variations had no success at all, I employed the Greenhill formula (which I distrust because of its "factor" - but whose results always proved to be true) and found the 55 grs bullet to be too long.
A test with 45 grs bullets improved the groups considerably.
Now I'm going to redo with 40 grs bullets.

Plowing through the different reloading books, I was unable to find any information on bullet length (which I need for the Greenhill calculation i.e: find the weight of the bullet needed as an order information).

Where can I find this information (listings of bullet length)?

[ 01-12-2003, 22:13: Message edited by: waitaminit ]

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Gerard Schultz>
posted
Most manufacturers would be reluctant to publish bullet length specifications because it often changes from batch to batch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
really, Gerard ?

when you change the length,the weight being equal, you change the shape of the bullet i.e. the BC.

I think that there is no interest in it - in spite of the fact that it is of interest for seating depth considerations as well.

Producer and dealer may find it attractive that you have to buy a bullet first to find out if it suits your needs.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Gerard Schultz>
posted
This is exactly the problem with most manufacturers. You buy a box of bullets and work up a load and the next time you get them, the length, weight, diameter and BC is just different enough to warrant reworking the load. Sometimes you have to start from scratch the bullet is so different. I know of two, possibly three manufacturers, who do not have this problem and only one who publishes bullet lengths. If there are more out there, a lot of reloaders would be interested to know who they are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the twist of your barrel?

If it's 1-16 then it will stablilize the Sierra 50 gr spitzer. Just use that bullet for now anyway.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage, my barrel is 1-14. Using Greenhill or LFAD confirms what you say.

I do not maintain that my bullets get lost, but it's not the accuracy I expect from this caliber, and I find minimizing bullet weight/length improves the pattern.
This weekend I'll see on the range if my theory holds water.

Gerard, the company publishing their bullet length I know of is Lapua.
I received LFAD today and found bullet length in their database.
Same with QL - they have even more information, but they're in an other league altogether.

[ 01-17-2003, 15:22: Message edited by: waitaminit ]